Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My dad's looking at buying an atv for casual riding and whatever he may need it for. He's looking for a 2000 and newer, 400 and bigger. I'm trying to talk him into buying an outlaw, but he would rather have a 4x4 and an automatic. Came across a couple older Sportsman 400s and 500s between $1800 and $3000, but then we came across a 2006 Sportsman 450 with 1800 miles. It's at a dealer about an hour away. It looks like it's in perfect shape. Haven't done much research on the 450, but have done lots of riding on 400s. Can anyone with experience with the 450s shed some light and what do you think it's worth? Thank you!

Reading some reviews, and finding lots of them, they seem to be good four wheelers.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Check NADA.com. Quads are worth different amounts in different areas. The price you mentioned does not seem bad to me...for my area.

Sean

·
Registered
619 Posts
I have an 06 450, with a few mods its been a great bike.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found out the dealer just got it in Saturday and it's not even on their website yet.

And I don't hardly ever check Nada or KBB, because, for around here anyway, they seem to be off quite a bit. When my grandpa wrecked his 2001 Polaris Supersport the insurance company was going to give him $1200 because that's what it was listed as, and he worked with a dealer about the price, and proved the sled was worth around $2500 at the time. Snowmobiles are so far it's sometimes funny. I checked it with the 450 and they seem to be pretty close with the price, and the price of the atv is way under the value.

And I shop Craigslist pretty much everyday so I know what I look at seems to be worth, and as long as the 450 is a good engine and the chassis is the same as all the others, the price seems to be great, especially at a dealer.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I'd tend to agree with you.... NADA / KBB prices in MN tend to be a little low (by $500-1000) based on the average going retail sales rates (Dealer or Private Party.

For your retail value basis..... This spring I picked up a 2005 Sportsman 400 (425cc) with 1850 miles. It also came with a Warn #2500 Winch and 60" Eagle Plow system. The unit was very clean for the year and ran very well. Sellers (private party) asking price was $3700.... I picked it up for $3200, than sold the plow for $400 (installed). So, all in all paid about $2900 for it. Which I thought was a awesome score on a machine that booked out at $3700 (Wheeler & Winch).

So I'd guage a "Clean" 2006 450 @ a dealer to be in the $3800-4200 price tag range..... but with no trade coming in whould hope to score it @ $3500-3800 "Out the Door" (Tax, Title/DNR Transfer fee's included)????

Good Luck..... that should be a good machine!

P.S. Where in MN are you located.... I can keep an eye out for a "good" deal in my neighborhood if interested.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts