Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Have been looking at getting a new quad for the last few months now... was tossing up between jappas like grizzly 700's kingquad 750's etc.....

Recently been seriously looking into the polaris sportsman 850xp... then the scrambler 850. However the 1000 is about to hit Australia so now im looking into it...

However my biggest concern is just the reliability of the new scramblers ? Especially being the first year of release... can anyone with one comment on how it has been ?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Considering the longest amount of Scrambler 1000 ownership in here is probably what a month, there is really no way to get an accurate answer on this. It seems like the 850's have continued to impress.

Honestly, if you first and number one concern for an atv purchase is reliability I would probably get a Honda. They are bullet proof.
However, I have almost always found reliability= boring.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Love mine so far, but as Eric said, I have only had it a few weeks. The bigger bikes are going to take a good bit more maintenance because of the added stress from the extra power and weight. I will be going on a pretty good ride 2 weekends from now and will have a better impression of the bike after. But I agree, if reliability is your biggest concern, go with Honda or Yamaha...As far as the first year of release, it's pretty much the same bike as the 2013 Scrambler/Sportsman 850 except for the motor.

·
Registered
84 Posts
If you ask me reliability of the wheeler is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay in the back of your mind when you consider it to be a "sport 4x4", its main purpose is the wow and fun factor............................you don't buy a Ferrari to look at!

This thing is meant to be ridden HARD! So far the Scrammy 850 has been o.k. seeing as the 1000 is a clone it should be too , but there WILL be more stress put on the components since it's a 1000.

Reliability is a honda or a yammy................good bikes, but not much "spark" Like I said ""you don't buy a Ferrari to look at!"

Just MY opinion.............

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
My only concern would be that some 850's (specifically 2011's for some reason) were throwing rods thru the block. Now with the punched out and stroked 850 - 950cc, that cylinder wall is even thinner.

Personally I would give it at least til summer when some of these guys start putting some major miles on theirs before I would ever look at one seriously.

And as stated already, if you are purely after reliability, go for the grizzly 700. If you are looking for a rush, get an 850/1000.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After coming from a Honda and selling it due to its poor performance its definitely not something i want to go back too...

Thanks for the comments, still leaning towards the 1000. I am definitely chasing the fun factor.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
The 1000 won't dissapoint in the fun department...what kind of Honda did you have?

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Love mine so far, but as Eric said, I have only had it a few weeks. The bigger bikes are going to take a good bit more maintenance because of the added stress from the extra power and weight. I will be going on a pretty good ride 2 weekends from now and will have a better impression of the bike after. But I agree, if reliability is your biggest concern, go with Honda or Yamaha...As far as the first year of release, it's pretty much the same bike as the 2013 Scrambler/Sportsman 850 except for the motor.
Power yes but not heavier at all, same motor bored and stroked

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The 1000 won't dissapoint in the fun department...what kind of Honda did you have?
A 420 rancher manual shift solid axle 4x4 (slow).... Used to riding dirt bikes (wr450's etc) so want something with similar power.

I also forgot to mention can am isn't an option due to the closest dealer being over an hour away (and price!)

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Power yes but not heavier at all, same motor bored and stroked
The weight and power comparison was in reference to Honda and Yamaha's lack luster line up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Anyone know how long the warranty is that come with these ? Also can you get extended warranty ?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Considering the longest amount of Scrambler 1000 ownership in here is probably what a month, there is really no way to get an accurate answer on this. It seems like the 850's have continued to impress.

Honestly, if you first and number one concern for an atv purchase is reliability I would probably get a Honda. They are bullet proof.
I respectfully disagree. I've had nothing but problems with my 850. Wa wa noise, gone through a couple starters at under 50 miles, and left me stranded on a faulty battery at 70 miles. I would never buy one again

·
Registered
218 Posts

I respectfully disagree. I've had nothing but problems with my 850. Wa wa noise, gone through a couple starters at under 50 miles, and left me stranded on a faulty battery at 70 miles. I would never buy one again
You have a lemon or doing something wrong. 1700 miles no issues on my 850. I ride both my Outlander 1000 and XP850 about the same amount. Both great machines. Outty has had more issues however.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So my 1000 is ordered ! Should be here in a few weeks... any tips on running these things in?

·
Registered
393 Posts

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Anyone know how long the warranty is that come with these ? Also can you get extended warranty ?
I have heard it comes with a 1 yr warranty.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Unless a specific dealer offers an extension, the 1000 manual states the same 6 month warranty as everything else.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Guess that's why you don't believe everything you read on the interwebs!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts