Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a new 2013 sportsman 500 ho in white, I've put a Benz ATV silencer on it and removed the warning labels. I purchased the 54 month extended warranty too. Love it I just don't have anyone to ride with, wife would ride with me if she had an atv. I payed cash for this one and don't want to go in debt for another one. I've only had it about 5-6 weeks sucks that I cant find anyone to ride with. I've searched the web and all of the atv clubs around here look like they are not active anymore. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
153 Posts
I say give it time. I live in Jersey, and riders are few and far between too. Springtime is not even here yet, and you have an awesome state for riding. If you want, when you get some extra cash, buy an additional quad that's relatively inexpensive either used or whatever for friends and the wife. If the wife gets really into it, then later on down the line you can upgrade her to a nicer machine and then you'll have 3 (or you can sell the "value" one.) Give it time and don't give up yet. Also, there are a few people from KY on here. Why not try and meet up with them when they go out?

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Def give it some time. It took me about 6-8 months to find a group and once I did, some of the guys ended up becoming some of my closest friends.

It was actually what brought me to this forum...looking for people in my area. I ended up finding my group through atv connection though bec no one responded to my posts here.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
679 Posts
Give it some time. I'm not sure what the weather is like in Kentucky right now, but it is still winter out there. As the weather warms up, folks start getting more active.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
patience grasshopper.

With a wife an kids and busy schedules for everyone I've only ridden with other riders 3 times in the 16 month's I've had my machine. We'll be adding another machine to our fleet next year so then we'll be able to ride as a family or I can let a friend ride if the wife doesn't want to go. It's all about timing and availability. Most of the people I know personally don't ride anything, and those that do get out maybe once every couple of months.

Your machine is paid for. no reason to sell it. I'd either pony up for a little bit of debt, or wait it out long enough to buy a "value" quad for the wife.

and like it's been said. you haven't even made it to spring yet.

·
Registered
137 Posts
5-6 weeks is not enough time!! Like Ezerasufr said it's not even spring yet. It took me almost a year to find some riding buddies. I know have several and found them at my kids baseball game, Facebook, the local gas station etc. If you put it out there you will be surprised who has a ride and needs a riding buddy. Also check out the members map on this site, there may be several in your area. Hang tight and good luck! http://www.polarisatvforums.com/forums/atv-general-discussion/23184-polarisatvforums-member-map.html

·
Premium Member
10,361 Posts
Yeah bro def give it time. I have meet great people riding it takes time and for me I had to come out of my comfort zone and approach people and introduce myself to stryke up conversations. its all worth it, but takes time. Like the guys said getting out takes some coordinating. Oh yeah I wanted to say chk for charity type rides/events at the ATV parks in ur area. Those r good places to meet up with people. People are really friendly and will gladly have u join their group for a day of riding.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Yea, for most of us, getting out and riding only happens half a dozen times a year. Don't get down on yourself just because the thing is sitting in the garage. Its just not something you can do every day or ever week in many areas of the county. I've felt the same way, and gotten desperate and taken a trip by myself just to ride around somewhere decent, but I haven't had to do that in a while once I hooked up with local people. Give it some time for sure. You have a great machine, don't get rid of it before you even have the chance to enjoy it.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I too agree with the others...... just give it some time to find a solid group.

Not to mention..... you'd "take it in the shorts" on a brand new wheeler with that low of hours/miles. As someone willing to spend the money you'd want, would likely just buy new themselves also!!!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Think of it as a snowmobile that only get's used snow permitting. Sounds like you have a willing wife. Pick up a mid 2000's 500 for a few grand for her. There's tons of them for sale and many are EFI with few miles.

·
Registered
978 Posts
dont sell!! give it time and you will get riding buddies. Just start a thread for in your area on different forums and see how many ppl wanna ride. I ride by myself alot. I have more miles by myself then with buddies. I go on about 5-6 group rides a year the rest im riding solo or taking my year and a half old son for rides

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
it should also be pointed out that you haven't even driven the thing enough to know if you like it or not. Get out and ride before you decide to sell. and it's also been pointed out that you'd just be out money if you sold it now. Besides, you've got to at least get it through it's break in oil change before you make any decisions.

Just grasping at straws here, but was this kind of an impulse buy? Most people don't just go out and buy a quad without at least one person they know that they could ride with, or at least one area to ride at that's close enough and easy enough to meet people. They also don't consider selling something that they bought in January in March because it's to cold out side to get out and ride all the time.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I don't have anywhere or anybody to ride with yet and I've had an atv since 2007. I use the heck out of it around the yard. I mow with a zero turn so I use the quad to pull a trailer, fertilize and roll my lawn.
This year I got a new 570 so I can plow with it. I also use it to run over to neighbors. I may even try to go somewhere and ride this year now that I have a good sized machine and 4x4.
Have fun with it and find things to do with it. I'm 51 years old and feel like a kid when I hop on my ride! I'm in northeast Indiana or I'd come ride with you. I've had my 570 for 6 weeks and I have 17 hours on mine already just plowing and running down the road.
Good luck on your decision.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
it should also be pointed out that you haven't even driven the thing enough to know if you like it or not. Get out and ride before you decide to sell. and it's also been pointed out that you'd just be out money if you sold it now. Besides, you've got to at least get it through it's break in oil change before you make any decisions.

Just grasping at straws here, but was this kind of an impulse buy? Most people don't just go out and buy a quad without at least one person they know that they could ride with, or at least one area to ride at that's close enough and easy enough to meet people. They also don't consider selling something that they bought in January in March because it's to cold out side to get out and ride all the time.
I had a 1994 Honda Fourtrax 300 4x4 that I bought from a guy at work and there was Big Rock Offroad park 10 minutes from the house. Big Rock closed after I rode there one day for 2 hours. Now the nearest offroad park is 60 miles away. I had A total of 5-7 hours on the Honda and I fell in love with riding it. I also rode some as a teenager (very little since it was my grandfathers ATV). I traded the Honda in on the Polaris because it needed a rebuild and a few other things. I know a few people to ride with but everytime I wanna ride they can't. Maybe I'm just to anxious to ride.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I had a 1994 Honda Fourtrax 300 4x4 that I bought from a guy at work and there was Big Rock Offroad park 10 minutes from the house. Big Rock closed after I rode there one day for 2 hours. Now the nearest offroad park is 60 miles away. I had A total of 5-7 hours on the Honda and I fell in love with riding it. I also rode some as a teenager (very little since it was my grandfathers ATV). I traded the Honda in on the Polaris because it needed a rebuild and a few other things. I know a few people to ride with but everytime I wanna ride they can't. Maybe I'm just to anxious to ride.
Hang in there, the days are getting longer. My last true ride with friends was back in December. I've put many hours plowing since then, but it's not the same. I have cabin fever too! Come on spring!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts