Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... and the "test ok" block did not get a ck mark in it. New England has alot of rocks left over from the Ice Age and Volcanic activity from years back. I pay attention and sometimes are careful cause its a long way back on flats. Figured came wid 8 psi when new so went wid it. about 15 miles later l/f and r/r went flat with side wall (cheesy) slices like you would get bottoming out tire on rim edge. Got some new Kenda Bear claws (i think thats the name) and now run 15 psi. ok so far nock on wood

·
Registered
275 Posts
Well 15psi sounds high to me. What size tires are you running? The most I ran with my 25in stock and the 25.5 that I have now was 5psi. Most of the time just 4psi. Check the side wall of the tires. They should have a suggest rating and than a maximum mounting psi rating.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Well 15psi sounds high to me. What size tires are you running? The most I ran with my 25in stock and the 25.5 that I have now was 5psi. Most of the time just 4psi. Check the side wall of the tires. They should have a suggest rating and than a maximum mounting psi rating.
I'll second that. My 500 has 25's and I run 4-5psi and at that they barely squat at all. Anything over 10 psi is too much in my opinion.....

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Running Bearclaw HTRS here at 5lbs. 15 is wayyy to high. Max running psi is 7lbs

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
you're talking about a 3 ply tire cutting a side wall. Bear claws are 6 or 8 ply depending on the model you get. 15 is WAY to high.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, big rocks and other stuff

the tires are kenda bear claws. rear is a 26 x 11r 14 front is same brand. yea it says 7 lbs in polaris owners manual and the tire says not to go beyond 35 and yes been running 15 psi. way back suzuki 2fiddy quad had gigando wooley boogers on the back wid 2.5 psi Forever. Riding my ktm 2 wheeler pinched a couple side walls (12.5psi) on rocks here and there and flattened the tube an bent rim a little. tires at 15 psi on the scrambler cut down bottoming out on rims. so far so good. If my riding area was worry free, yea would reduce to 7ish

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the tires are kenda bear claws. rear is a 26 x 11r 14 front is same brand. yea it says 7 lbs in polaris owners manual and the tire says not to go beyond 35 and yes been running 15 psi. way back suzuki 2fiddy quad had gigando wooley boogers on the back wid 2.5 psi Forever. Riding my ktm 2 wheeler pinched a couple side walls (12.5psi) on rocks here and there and flattened the tube an bent rim a little. tires at 15 psi on the scrambler cut down bottoming out on rims. so far so good. If my riding area was worry free, yea would reduce to 7ish
ok your correct the stock tires side walls are flimsy and yea kendas are 8 i think. so i should trust em and reduce to 7psi. will do

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
sounds like you're trying to go to fast over large objects if you're bottoming out the tire and bending rims.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
The 35lb number is for bead seating. Not operating psi.

Sent from my BNTV400 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Tanks

sounds like you're trying to go to fast over large objects if you're bottoming out the tire and bending rims.
Have not bent any rims yet. Will get back to ya on that sooner or later. 89% rock and crazy stuff on my average endurance ride. Thanx for update on the 35 psi deal.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I hear ya on the 35psi bead set. I thought my Kenad Executioner's with that stiff sidewall were gonna blow off the rim before they set. I had them soaped up good to and when they finally did set I jumped back, it was loud. Just wasn't expecting that. P.S. How many of you went redneck and used your truck tires and eased on the tires to break them loose from the rim? Old trick my dad taught me around 1975......You do whatever it takes...lol

·
Registered
7,469 Posts

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
I hear ya on the 35psi bead set. I thought my Kenad Executioner's with that stiff sidewall were gonna blow off the rim before they set. I had them soaped up good to and when they finally did set I jumped back, it was loud. Just wasn't expecting that. P.S. How many of you went redneck and used your truck tires and eased on the tires to break them loose from the rim? Old trick my dad taught me around 1975......You do whatever it takes...lol
I used a jack and the underside of a small deck.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Good Idea Thor, I never would ha thought of that. See we all learn something on these forums everyday.Brainstorming we can all learn different way to accomplish the same thing......

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good Idea Thor, I never would ha thought of that. See we all learn something on these forums everyday.Brainstorming we can all learn different way to accomplish the same thing......
Always remember beginner science is involved in daily operations. At first on my dirt bike when changing tires during winter always drew blood from my knuckles. Kept tires in below zero gee rage and tires were like bricks. guess what threw em in front of kero heater for a couple minutes and almost went on rims by them self. same wid mounting big mambo mudders on ohv rims warm em up a bit

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Riding my ktm 2 wheeler pinched a couple side walls (12.5psi) on rocks here and there and flattened the tube an bent rim a little.
Have not bent any rims yet.
It would seem you contradict yourself...
well my two wheeler ktm rims are dent-able/crackable lite aluminum. my ohv are heavycast and would crack or launch Alcoa projectiles. yikes o well

1 - 16 of 16 Posts