Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been thinking about tracks for the 550 but think I might go with the utility of a Polaris Widetrak instead.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
tracks are great for quads but eventually you will sink and get high centered. I have a few sleds I use when, like this year the snow gets too deep. Problem is it gets wind blown here and you get a crust on it, you can drive on top.. for a while then poof you sink. At that point you are stuck. Sleds tend to stay on top of the snow as they have way less weight per cubic foot of track touching the snow.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One of my brother-in-laws has a couple of these Widetrack models in Alaska and swears by them in a good way. These models tend to fall on the less glamorous side of sledding but looks perfect for my needs. I like that they have a high/low transmission. I haven't had issues towing with my current sleds but I can't help but think this wouldn't be less wear and tear on current sleds. I have a few Yamahas that have just been a pain in the butt to keep running right so plan to part them out.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
I like the looks of the wide track. Its like a utility version of a sled.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I kinda wish the 750 4-stroke was still around but the 600 SDI seems to be a fairly proven engine at this point.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
If i had to deal with enough snow to where I needed tracks for my quad,........a snow machine would be my choice

·
Registered
610 Posts
I sat on a 600 wide track the other day at the dealer. What an awesome machine!!! If you're not concerned about looks or speed like most of the throttle jockey snowmobilers it's surely a versatile sled. The underwear storage and huge battery are nice as well as that big track and massive suspension. Also has a heated glovebox in front of the handlebars. Like you said a dual range gearbox as well. Not bad for a machine that can be had for 9-10 grand.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I sat on a 600 wide track the other day at the dealer. What an awesome machine!!! If you're not concerned about looks or speed like most of the throttle jockey snowmobilers it's surely a versatile sled. The underwear storage and huge battery are nice as well as that big track and massive suspension. Also has a heated glovebox in front of the handlebars. Like you said a dual range gearbox as well. Not bad for a machine that can be had for 9-10 grand.
Cool! It will be fast enough for me and I like the functionality. I've never been one to care what others think of looks. If the utility of it works I will be happy. It will be well suited for hauling stuff into cabin in winter. I wasn't really thinking about buying another sled but wife brought up idea about getting a new one. I'm tired of tuning the old Yami's.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
UTV's with tracks are of limited value in this state in winter. I like that I can still use this on the sled trails as well.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This Arctic Cat looks stout but don't think I need a strobe light. It's $2500 more than the Popo. A fairly stout hitch though.

Arctic Cat 2014 Bearcat Z1 XT GS

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the winch on back of AC is cool though..

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
They all look pretty rugged especially the AC. The winch on the back is very cool. If we had snow like this every winter I'd seriously consider the Widetrak Polaris.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks like Polaris is adding a GPS option for 2015. Spendy option but if you buy 3rd party it is several hundred cheaper. I can't find any screenshots of display yet.

Simple and seamless – Polaris has developed the first of its kind; this display will put you at the center of your riding experience in a whole new way.
4.3” high resolution, full-color, LCD digital display
Smartphone connectivity* via Bluetooth™ displays text message and missed call indicator, phone battery life and cell signal strength
Diagnostics screen displays vehicle fault codes, descriptions and remedial actions
Vehicle Immobilizer and security function allow you to lock your vehicle with a passcode
GPS Connectivity offers exact location information including elevation, latitude/longitude, compass bearings as well as recording your route so you can find trails again - See more at: 2015 Polaris 600 IQ WideTrak Snowmobile : Build

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
2,054 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
I ride sleds a lot, but the type of riding I do is not utility, lol. Anyway, the type of riding I do you generally try to make your sled as light as possible and this starts with a 2 stroke engine.
However if your looking for something utility and I am guessing longevity, you may want to look at getting a 4 stroke utility sled. I'm not saying which brand to go with but for the fuel milage, noise polution, and durability, a 4 stroke may be a better choice as weight is not one of your concerns going with a Widetrack sled anyway.
Just my $.02

1 - 18 of 18 Posts