Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the market for a sportsman 700/800. Came across one that the guy used for a hunting outfit and has been used everyday for the past year at his farm. Serviced regularly, he says. It's a 2007 Sportsman 800. Looks good in pictures but since it's used daily it is a little dirty and has normal minimal wear. Call him and he walks out to check hours for me. 221 hours. He fires it up and I hear it start instantly as it should. Said he just had the crank or cam sensor replaced but couldn't remember which one without checking paper work. Had them investigate a squeaking issue in the front end and they said it will need a new front diff in the future at the cost of $1000. He said he would take $3000 for it. I'm thinking it's something simple since it's only a squeak and can be caught early. Thoughts on this buy? I figure it's a good price even if worst case I have to rebuild the diff or throw one off eBay in there for $400.

Should I be worried about it being used on a farm/hunting outfit? Or is this good since it probably hasn't been rack deep in mud or WOT all the time.

Thanks guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

·
Registered
619 Posts
It sounds pretty good. If you go to test drive it, and the steering and suspension seems tight, I'd say its a pretty great deal for $3000. Even if you had to put $1000 into it, it would still be a relatively fair price.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
If your (#1) handy and (#2) want a project, it sounds like a good deal..... if you anwered NO to either of those two items...... walk away.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If your (#1) handy and (#2) want a project, it sounds like a good deal..... if you anwered NO to either of those two items...... walk away.
I am an aircraft mechanic and just rebuilt my 400ex from the bottom up so it's not a problem, however, after seeing pictures i don't think I'm going to go for it. Plastics are worn a little more than I had hoped for.

·
12,194 Posts
Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. A dealer saying that a squeak equals a need for a new front differential at $1000 is hogwash. Plastics are easily restored and their only REAL purpose is to keep the mud off you anyway.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Here are some pics. What worries me is he didn't even clean it to take pics. He said he uses it 7 days a week on the farm and for hunting so that would explain it. It looks like the winch is no longer there and it's missing the left side plastic piece. Rear Rack has 2 spots where it's broken/cracked. I don't want to get it and be upside down in repairs. He says it was regularly serviced and has never let him down. I called the dealer my dad bought both of his sportsman from and raves about them and he said diffs are not common and it is probably a suspension, brake or axle squeak unless it gets louder in 4wd. The guy says 4wd still works fine but the place he took it to said it was going to EVENTUALLY need a diff. I would service all the fluids as soon as I got home either way and I know it can be rebuilt for $110 or so with JD parts so I read. He walked out to it when I was on the phone and hit the key and it fired right up and sounded good on the phone. 221 hours exactly I believe he said.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
The one and only time I bought a bike that dirty was on craigslist. It was a 2010 550 X2 and was only 3,700 bucks out of hickory NC. Only had 110 hrs on it too. First thing you need to ask yourself is if he is using it everyday then why is he getting rid of it? I got lucky and my bike has been a great machine. I removed all of the plastic skids and fenders, pressure washed it, applied dielectric grease, greased all of the fittings, changed every fluid, changed the belt, and this bike has been a perfect. I guess what Im trying to say is only buy it if it is at a super cheap price and it runs good. If the bike has a check engine light or other BS then run away.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Hmmmm...... from the pics I can see it is also missing the left side panel (by knee) and the right front corner of the grill appears to be cracked.

The "condition pictured" tells me a story...... 1) not washed for sale pictures 2) cluttered deck 3) lawn mower in middle of the yard 4) broken rack 5) Eventually needs a diff 6) missing side cover 7) and more..... all of these items (could keep looking) tell me a story about a machine that has NOT been taken care of and always serviced, otherwise they would be fixed already and cleaned and ready for sale. So that tells me he is selling for a reason.

There are plenty of good deals to be found.... just need to wait for yours!!

But without knowing your taste and what your "true" budget is.... I'd say walk away from this deal!! Unless you are okay with the condition pictured, repairs needed and the "good word" of the owner.

I'd Pass for sure..... (but that is my taste, used not abused!)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would like to stay under $4500-4800. Preferably, $4000. But I will pay more for less hours. The more I zoom in and look, this thing is crap. I can only imagine what is caked in the crevasses.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts