Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know Power Steering isnt necessary and im not weak or lazy, But im about to get another Sportsman 570 (have 500 H.O. and Non EPS 570) and was wondering if its worth getting a EPS 570 or another Non EPS 570.

I know the EPS helps take the handle bar jerk threw rough stuff just wording if its worth the extra cost/potential problems?

·
Premium Member
10,355 Posts
Just got back from hmt and then did a local charity run on my return home. Did like 250 miles in 5 out of six days on our bikes. I had no body fatigue issues and my bike doesn't have ps. The can am guys I run with we're all shoot and poppin advils and they all have ps. Personally I literally don't need it from a physical aspect, but there are times in some technical situations that I feel ps would improve on my riding abilities. Never have I been in a situation where I was like "dam only if I had ps". Never the less every one says it the way to go and I trust the general consensus. To sum it up my next bike will have ps.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Well retail on the 570 EPS is $7299 i was offered a white EPS 570 for $6699+tax,title from a local dealer that i do a lot of business with as a Favor for all the business i bring them, but retail on the 570 NON EPS is $6499+tax,des,title and i would pay $5899+Tax,title for NON EPS, so is EPS worth the $800 upgrade being that those who pay Retail for the NON EPS model would pay around $6998.94 OTD so its kinda like i would be paying $120 extra for the EPS model over standard retails, LOL i know this^ is confusing.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Well if you ever go to sell it and someone is looking at yours and someone elses, they are going to buy the one with PS. So it add's to resale also, so figure if it is an $800 adder now you should make $400 of that back down the road when you sell it. That being said, I ride with a bunch of guys without it and they all say that they wish they had it. I will say all day it is worth it to reduce Shoulder, back, and neck fatigue. You can be the strongest person in the world, but if you do something over and over and over eventually you will get sore. I used to be able to arm curl with a 60# dumbbell in each arm, but I could only hold my 15-30# kids with my arms at a 90 degree angle for less than a minute. So strength is not the main thing here, it is fatigue of the constant turning..

·
Registered
417 Posts
If you're gonna be running the deep water and mud. Then p.s. may not be for you. It's an electric part, with moving parts and not water proof. With a 1200$ replacement cost. If tail riding is more you then it's the way to go.

12 850EPS Short bus edition

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have heard a lot of guys say they wish they had power steering...but have never heard a single person say they wish they DIDN'T have power steering.

sent from my Droid Razr Maxx...I would rather be riding.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you're gonna be running the deep water and mud. Then p.s. may not be for you. It's an electric part, with moving parts and not water proof. With a 1200$ replacement cost. If tail riding is more you then it's the way to go.

12 850EPS Short bus edition
Yah im an aggressive trail rider type, not really into water and mud riding.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have heard a lot of guys say they wish they had power steering...but have never heard a single person say they wish they DIDN'T have power steering.

sent from my Droid Razr Maxx...I would rather be riding.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I think that Polaris will go with non-power steering as an option in the future as more people experience rides with power steering and find out how nice it really is. More and more people will make the change to PS. But I also think that non-PS units will always have a place.

·
Registered
593 Posts
You should ride both, the newer front end geometry on the Sportsman XP’s is better, placing the pivot point close to the center of the wheel, so non EPS isn’t as bad as it was before 09. If you ride on tight or rocky trails, are going with large tires, or offset wheels the EPS is nice. I have been riding my son-in-laws 500 HO with big tires and offset wheels, it’s tough to turn at a stop or low speeds, kick back on rocks really woke me up, I was use to my EPS. Plus I'm getting old, so I like the EPS!

·
Registered
294 Posts
I personally never saw the need in it

...... until I bought one. It is great for utility purposes so that you can steer with one hand at low speed and do something else with the other. It also greatly aids in maneuverability. My old, much smaller Kawasaki always took at least 2 attempts to get it parked just right in the garage in reverse and I still usually wound up scooting it by hand. This 850 half again physically bigger and I can park it on a dime with one hand.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You should ride both, the newer front end geometry on the Sportsman XP’s is better, placing the pivot point close to the center of the wheel, so non EPS isn’t as bad as it was before 09. If you ride on tight or rocky trails, are going with large tires, or offset wheels the EPS is nice. I have been riding my son-in-laws 500 HO with big tires and offset wheels, it’s tough to turn at a stop or low speeds, kick back on rocks really woke me up, I was use to my EPS. Plus I'm getting old, so I like the EPS!
Yah i had a 2013 500 H.O. and bought a 2014 570 NON EPS which steers exactly like the 500, the two biggest reasons im thinking about the EPS is handle bar kickback and i can get a White One, i love the white and the white is only available in EPS.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I don't think there would be so many companies making/selling aftermarket units unless there were an awful lot of people who were changing their minds.

·
Super Moderator
7,048 Posts
It has nothing to do with being weak or lazy. It's about making it more enjoyable and controllable when riding. If you were looking to buy a jeep, would you buy it with or without power steering?

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
You're looking at the 570 EPS for the same reason I am. I want the white. but I like the EPS part because it means my wife (4'10.5" & 110 lbs) should be able to drive the fullsized bike as well. The 570 took all my concerns with moving to a 500 and threw them out the window. They narrowed the seat, added the EPS as an option, increased the fuel capacity, added more power and EFI, and increased the size of the wheel wells. basically making the size machine I want with the perfect set up to fit all my needs. Can't wait till I can get one.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Applying dielectric grease to the electrical connections and the relay will elevate most, if not all of the EPS woes. Will never go back to a non EPS bike

·
Registered
765 Posts
buy the one with power steering. you'll love it. I can't think of a single drawback except if it would break....but anything can break. the Polaris eps seems to be very reliable. I've had it on 2 atv's and 2 rangers with no problems.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Bet it is nice...

My wife has power steering on her Razor 570 LE and likes it. She is also 5' 2 and turning 65 soon. She never had it on her 1999 Sportsman 500 and I have never had it in 20+ years of ATV riding and 17 of those years have been on a Polaris 6x6 Magnum and Big Boss. It is just up to the user. It does make driving easier. Our ATV riding has only been on our Alaskan trails and I have yet to find a smooth one. I don't know any one who uses the term "technical" for ATV riding, but I know plenty of riders who say, bring extra winch line, travel with a buddy, bring a paddle, is it just mud or is it quick sand, should I buy an Argo, and that trail will beat you up, etc. Any way if it came on my Big Boss 6x6 Sportsman I would of got it. I agree it is one more thing to break and these machines are getting more complicated every year. I still see plenty of old Honda 300's running around, why is that?

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
My wife has power steering on her Razor 570 LE and likes it. She is also 5' 2 and turning 65 soon. She never had it on her 1999 Sportsman 500 and I have never had it in 20+ years of ATV riding and 17 of those years have been on a Polaris 6x6 Magnum and Big Boss. It is just up to the user. It does make driving easier. Our ATV riding has only been on our Alaskan trails and I have yet to find a smooth one. I don't know any one who uses the term "technical" for ATV riding, but I know plenty of riders who say, bring extra winch line, travel with a buddy, bring a paddle, is it just mud or is it quick sand, should I buy an Argo, and that trail will beat you up, etc. Any way if it came on my Big Boss 6x6 Sportsman I would of got it. I agree it is one more thing to break and these machines are getting more complicated every year. I still see plenty of old Honda 300's running around, why is that?
does the front end of the big boss mirror the value or xp frames? you may be able to added it after market to your existing machine. just a thought.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts