Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a deal on a 700 and think I might have found one. I also see a Sportsman 600 for a good price. I'm assuming it's essentially the same as the 700 just smaller displacement. They don't seem as common. Anything special I should know about the 600s? I did a search of the forum, but didn't really find much discussion of them.

·
Registered
434 Posts
the 600 only has 3more hp then the 500....is it worth it

·
Registered
326 Posts
The 600 twin has hydrualic lifters on valves so that means no valve adjustments.
Also the twins are much easier to do an oil change than the 500.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Finding replacement parts is a chore. Most irritating is the ignition system that must be upgraded or will cause no start, rough idle and poor performance at low rpm. Early 03 into 04.5 they have bad crank bearings some got fixed most are blown sitting in a barn by now. The fact that they are made by liberty is another red flag as not being a reliable at the fuji. Side by side comparison the 500 will use less fuel, hold value better, parts availability and claimed most reliable Polaris motor ever made. The 700 was some what better machine but still plagued with the same problems everyone overlooked the issues because it was the biggest power maker of the time

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's good to know. I was kind of assuning the 600 and 700 were very similar, just with a different bore. Sounds like they're very different. What should I be looking for on a 700? What are the recurring problems I should be aware of?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Check the cdi and coil if its a Ducati system it needs to be upgraded or it will leave you stranded. Early models run the vin through Polaris to see if they have the upgraded crank bearings

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
the 600 only has 3more hp then the 500....is it worth it
Exactly. You'd be better off with the Fuji 500 between the two. If you want a little more power i'd skip the 600 and go with the 700. Good Luck !!!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Also the 500 has a pull starter, more reliable.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
^The new ones don't :rippedhand:

But you can add one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts