Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Been looking around for an ATV for the homestead. Just something to be able to trailer the log splitter out back, and haul a trailer full of wood back to the house. If the off chance I ever do get a deer, use this to haul it back. That sort of thing.

Found this:

That second picture looks like it has a bit of negative camber on it, but it may just be the pic.

Big question is, is 4,000 miles a lot? I've never even sat on an ATV. I do ride motorcycles though. I understand that I also need to look at the machine for negligence. I'm just unsure about the mileage. If 4k on an ATV is like 50k on a car, fine. If its like 500k on a car, forget it.

Thoughts? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,824 Posts
4000 miles is not that much. I have only had my 850 about a year and I have over 1300 miles on it. A couple trips a year for trails and a few more local rides and the miles add up. Inspect it carefully when you go to look at it. It is surprising what people will try to pass off as good condition. Ask for service records or who did the service, you know the drill..Good luck!

·
9,185 Posts
4k with new tires, a winch, new ball joints and drive shafts at that price isn't bad. If its been serviced regular it should be a pretty good machine for your needs. It might need some bushings and a fresh belt if it hasn't had them already but that's pretty easy and relatively inexpensive stuff. I'd just check it out good and ask about service intervals and any oil consumption.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hrm. mmk. I'm getting total opposite opinion from my friends, heh. They're all telling me 4k is a LOT. I used to be deep into custom 4x4 trail buggies, and one guy asked me if I'd buy my rig with 4k miles of beating on it in the woods. There's no way. There'd be nothing left, haha.

Currently I can swing about $2600 right now. $3k if the deal is right. Not looking for anything extensive. Just something to get me out back to tend to some tree stands, start getting some of the down trees bucked up onto my woodpile, and that's about it. No trips or anything. Just yard work. I'd like to get a Kubota RTV 900, but that is well out of my price range for the time being. I'm mainly just looking for 500cc+, 4x4, and IRS. Don't really care on make or model.

I'm not new to the field of this stuff. I ride motorcycles and stuff. Just snowmobiles and ATVs I'm unfamiliar with. I'll have him pop the seat off and I'll check out the wiring and whatnot. I don't think its a "deal", but something that fits my criteria at a price that I can afford. I got him to 2800 over FB. I'm going to shoot for 2500 when I get there I guess.

·
9,185 Posts
LOL... Oh absolutely, you always want to try to get the seller off the "asking" price for sure and not finalize the deal until you've actually inspected, tested the machine and feel him out on how the thing has been treated and serviced. I buy and refurbish a lot of used machines and just posted a detailed description of how I check one out in a thread a couple weeks ago if you can find it. Take a floor jack and a bright light when you go to check it out and start the real dickering after a good inspection. From the asking price I subtract the cost of anything it needs (bearings, bushings, belt, clutches, brakes, etc.) and then add back credit for what he has already done.
I was just saying that with new tires (around $350-$400+ according to brand) and the other new parts (around a couple hundred if new) it was in the ballpark. 4,000 miles is a LOT if the machine hasn't been kept serviced and repaired but not much at all if it has.
If you find nothing major wrong and can get him to around $2500 that would be pretty fair IMO.
By the way... Kelley Blue Book trade-in value on that machine in good condition is $2530. Typical listing price is $3700. I always start with knowledge of the actual KBB ballpark range and go from there according to what I see on inspection.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welp. I own an ATV now. No idea if I got a decent deal or not. Runs great. Shifts fine. No visual damage. Tires are new. Winch works great. Guy obviously knew his stuff. He's really big into sleds. Shop looked great. Full Matco set, tire changer, four new sleds in there. Had a Husky 701 and a HD Bagger there too.

So. Yea. I'm happy I have one now, just not sure if I got a decent deal. Just sucks because it was the first one I looked at, so I have nothing to compare it to. But overall, the machine looked just fine.

Oh, there is a slight side play if I grab the top of the rear tire and move it side to side. You can see the suspension move around a little bit. Not sure if that is normal or not. Worst case, I may have to replace a few bushings.

Rig look really straightforward to work on though.

Looking forward to bringing it out back.

·
9,185 Posts
A little play in the bushings is nothing to worry about. Sounds like you probably did ok since the guy knows how to care for machines. Its when the seller leans back and says... "Its a good one. I've rode it 4,000 miles and never turned a bolt on it!" that you need to be worried lol. (y)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A little play in the bushings is nothing to worry about. Sounds like you probably did ok since the guy knows how to care for machines. Its when the seller leans back and says... "Its a good one. I've rode it 4,000 miles and never turned a bolt on it!" that you need to be worried lol. (y)
Yea. that's a good point too. I didn't feel like he was hiding something.

We'll see what happens when I'm a mile into my woods with a hole in the block or something, heh.

·
Registered
89 Posts
By the look of the front view of the machine it looks like it needs either ball joints or bushings on the front, and by your description of the back it sounds like you need bushings there as well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
By the look of the front view of the machine it looks like it needs either ball joints or bushings on the front, and by your description of the back it sounds like you need bushings there as well.
I think it's the picture. He said he did drive shafts and ball joints. Couldn't feel any play in the front. Just sucks that it gets dark at, like, 3pm so I'm looking at stuff in the dark when I get out work. But yea, they looked fine. I'll have to see how it looks in the daylight.

Not sure about the rear. You can see the rear springs flex up and down, so it may just be the suspension.

Either way, this thing is freaking basic. If I have to spend a Saturday night banging out bushings with my boy, that's fine. Just as long as I'm not doing bottom end rebuilds or anything, we're good.

·
9,185 Posts
I haven't heard about any problems with the bottom end of those engines Woodsman. They are pretty bulletproof if you take care of them.
I've got a 2006 800 which is basically about the same engine and machine that you have. It was my primary ride for many years. It now has around 20,000 miles on it and has been all over the central Appalachians as well as a big portion of the central Rockies. I now ride a new 1000 Sportsman and decided to rebuild the old 800 for a spare/backup machine and for the grandson to eventually grow into. The machine still ran fine but got to using quite a bit of oil on long rides. When I tore it down the bottom end was still so smooth and slick that I left it alone and just did a complete new top end with new cylinders, pistons etc. Latebird did an excellent job refurbishing the head for me and installing new valves. I haven't gotten to ride it much yet but in the 15-20 miles or so I've put on it while breaking in the engine and fine tuning its as smooth and I can ever remember it being and purrs like a kitten. It holds a solid 40 psi oil pressure at speed and around 15-20 at hot idle. I fully expect it to be good for many years to come since I won't now be abusing it every weekend like I did before lol. (y)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I haven't heard about any problems with the bottom end of those engines Woodsman. They are pretty bulletproof if you take care of them.
I've got a 2006 800 which is basically about the same engine and machine that you have. It was my primary ride for many years. It now has around 20,000 miles on it and has been all over the central Appalachians as well as a big portion of the central Rockies. I now ride a new 1000 Sportsman and decided to rebuild the old 800 for a spare/backup machine and for the grandson to eventually grow into. The machine still ran fine but got to using quite a bit of oil on long rides. When I tore it down the bottom end was still so smooth and slick that I left it alone and just did a complete new top end with new cylinders, pistons etc. Latebird did an excellent job refurbishing the head for me and installing new valves. I haven't gotten to ride it much yet but in the 15-20 miles or so I've put on it while breaking in the engine and fine tuning its as smooth and I can ever remember it being and purrs like a kitten. It holds a solid 40 psi oil pressure at speed and around 15-20 at hot idle. I fully expect it to be good for many years to come since I won't now be abusing it every weekend like I did before lol. (y)
Neat. I think I did alright. I'm looking forward to taking it out back.

Like I said, looking the machine over it's pretty basic. I ride a DR650 as well, and this thing seems even more stripped down than that. It'll be nice to have. Already shopping for "stuff" for it, hehe.

·
9,185 Posts
Oh yeah, I was gonna tell you to check the seat bottom and the rubber feet that sit on the frame. That's one of the weak spots on the old twins. There's a couple tricks to keep it in good shape. If you let them go too long they get beyond repair.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I think you got slit of ATV for the money.

The guys sounds like he’s not short of cash and knows how to service his stuff.

Make sure you find last time he serviced all the fluids and drive belt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Machine runs awesome. The wrench light comes on for the first ten seconds of running, but I think that may just be normal. Took the family out in the back acreage. The damned thing just tanks right along. I have to use discretion because the things with flip and roll before the tires lose traction. Also rigged up the small yard tractor trailer with a 1 7/8" coupler. So I have that now. Big thing I need is a truck ramp. Going to order that Black Widow one. Then some tire chains; Dad wants to borrow it for ice fishing.

Great purchase. I feel like I got a more than fair price. Wife really likes riding it too, so I see a 400 coming up for 2020 for her.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ah. Neat. The oil looks brand new and the guy obviously put some work into it. I may swap the plugs as a routine thing. I should probably check the belt too, but I'm confident its fine.

Good to know on the light.

Thanks for that PDF link. That's fantastic.

Last question, the yellow switch on the dash. The guy told me it was for "turf mode" to unlock the rear. That true? And any idea which side is which? I don't get any indicator lights and the switch isn't labeled. I can't tell the difference between it being on or off.

·
Premium Member
3,824 Posts
Lets see a photo of the dash please. I can't remember any yellow switch other than the one that toggles through the display modes. I think turf mode is handled through the AWD switch on the throttle housing.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts