Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I'm in the market to put a winch on my 850 XP, and am thinking about the Gorilla 3000 XT model. I can get the winch for $115 on Ebay, and an XP mounting plate for $50 from Gorilla, both with free shipping. I know many people swear by Warn products, but I have a couple of buddies that have had as many problems with their Warn winches as others I know with much cheaper ones like Superwinch and Venom.

The winch is mainly just for getting out of Upper Peninsula mudholes, and won't see much heavy use, so I guess I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with Gorilla winches either good or bad.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I recently purchased the same model winch and installed on my 500. Its a great winch so far we have used it quite a bit so far from getting unstuck to pulling trees off our paths.

I got the package deal on ebay for both winch an mount plate for $150

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400068568197&viewitem=
Thanks Buzz,
I went ahead and ordered mine and it should be here in a few days. They didn't have a package deal for mine so I had to get the mounting plate from gorilla.
Total for both was $165 with free shipping.

·
Registered
18 Posts
this may sound like a dumb question but will this winch work well with any brand plow since the winch simply raises and lowers the plow? Also can someone post some pics of the installation? I'm new to the ATV world but i'm a big sled head and a former mx racer so i am handy with the tools for the most part.

·
Registered
122 Posts
My big question on this is the winch you are buying waterproof? I always wondered if most atv winch are!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I did some searching on the warn site and found the section on warranty information. HOw about this... Warn advertises a limited lifetime warranty but in reality it is only a 1 year warranty to the original purchaser and cant be transferred. I guess they aren't lying, it is limited... i'll post it if you want to see it for yourself...

Gorilla winches are lifetime on winch and 18 months on electrical components...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well so far so good...went up to the U.P. for a 5-day ride last week and the Gorilla did its job a few times. I did notice its a bit slower than the the Warn winch, probably due to how its geared. :dunno:

The Gorilla winch I bought says it has waterproof motor, some of the smaller and less expensive versions (1500# XT series) don't say that they are waterproof.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have the polaris 3500# winch and when I submerge it I will blow it apart and see if its going to be waterproof wont hurt to check at least once a year.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Got any ideas for me?When I picked up my XP it came with three winch in and out switches. Remote,handle bar switch,plus extension cable from the handle bar to small hand held remote. Im thinking I only need the remote any input?

·
Registered
221 Posts
First off gaspumpcity I would install the rocker switch and remote sensor. You never know when your remote may fail or what have you. I didn't get a remote with mine so I have the rocker switch and the port for the extension cable incase I'd rather not be on my machine when I'm winching something. I found an excellent place to put the port if you would like to see.

Second off Badge20, I see you already bought your winch but I believe the Gorilla is essentially the same as the Venom and I got the Venom 2500XT. I think it works great and for the price, I can go through 3-4 of them before I reach the price of the Warn.

And I believe pretty much all atv winches are waterproof and will work for any plow.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Post them pictures of your rocker switch location Pinochle767 here is mine

·
Registered
221 Posts
Ok I'll do that as soon as I get home. My rocker switch is actually in the same position just my switch is a little bit smaller. But I'll send you a pic of that and where I plug in my extension cable at.

What's the clamp just to the right of your rocker swich for?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Just thought I would add my two cents worth. I think like anything you need to use it and keep it clean for them to work properly. I have a Warn winch that has been on the machine for over 10 years 5000 miles and lots of mud and water holes later it still works fine. You might want to check out www.motoalliance.com as I have heard really good things about there winches.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Alright dale now please don't comment on how dirty my machine is right now. LOL I haven't gotten a chance to clean it.:lmao:

The location of my rocker switch is the same as yours.

However I put the cable extension port on the left side down near my shin where the body kind of comes back into the machine. It keeps it kind of hidden and keeps it from getting a little less muddy.

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
Cool pictures!!
What's the clamp just to the right of your rocker swich for? This is the mirror It folds down out of the way!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not a bad idea about the cable port Pinochle767. I installed mine on the right side of the headlight/gauge housing just underneath and slightly back of the handlebar. I had this apart for the wiring job and figured it would be the last place that would get waterlogged. My rocker switch is also in the same place as you guys.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Not a bad idea about the cable port Pinochle767. I installed mine on the right side of the headlight/gauge housing just underneath and slightly back of the handlebar. I had this apart for the wiring job and figured it would be the last place that would get waterlogged. My rocker switch is also in the same place as you guys.
Yeah that's a good idea too. I was already sceptacle about drilling holes in my body as it was so I tried putting it in a place less noticeable incase I messed it up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
with all the research i've been doing on winches i just heard of a mile marker and super winch. How are these winches in the atv world?

·
Registered
221 Posts
I've heard of super winch but nothing about how well they work or anything. I have heard some pretty decent feedback on the mile marker though. Especially with their new variable speed electronic winches which eliminates the sometimes problematic solenoid. If mine ever craps out and I need to get another I'll probably try one of those Mile Markers. They're pretty well priced also.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the Warn 25ci that was installed when I bought my '04 sportsman 700. No problems, never worried about whether or not it was waterproof though. They ought to be as they are subject to rain if nothing else. Being submerged can't be good for any electrical gear, especially high current items. Had mine underwater once, but used my buddies winch to pull me out. Once cleaned and dried, no problems.

Being that I'm new here, I haven't checked to see if anyone else has posted this, however, I just noticed the other day that Warn Industries has a recall on a their "8-post contactor". To me it's a relay. I checked mine and sure enough, it's the one on the list. Here is the link:

/http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml07/07027.html

It's titled, "Warn Industries Inc. Recalls Eight-Post ATV Winch Kits for Overheating". Polaris didn't notify me, but then I believe the winch was installed at the dealership.

If you have a Polaris with a Warn winch installed in the 2001-2005 time frame, you need to check this link out. Never had to talk to anyone, just entered the info and the new kit is on the way. Looks easy enough for the average joe to re-install too.

--Craig

1 - 20 of 22 Posts