Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of throttle cables do we have? This article states there are two, the older plain wire rope in a sleeve and the newer that are factory lined with teflon.

The maintenance procedures vary between the two. Any idea which ones we have on say a 2013 Sportsman? I'm assuming we get the fancy-pants teflon these days, but want to verify. If that is the case, does anyone have guidance on when Polaris swapped from the older style to the newer?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
I am curious what people have to say on this.

The fact that Polaris doesn't tell you to lubricate the cable every 15 mins in the manual like it does for everything else makes me think its the maintenance free Teflon type.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
422 Posts
I am curious what people have to say on this.

The fact that Polaris doesn't tell you to lubricate the cable every 15 mins in the manual like it does for everything else makes me think its the maintenance free Teflon type.

My 2014 570 manual does....

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine is on there too, hadn't thought of it that way. I'm gonna call the dealer and see what they say.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Oh chit!! I never noticed that :eek:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I spoke to the dealership (Service Department) and they confirmed that we have old style Non-teflon cables, and they DO NEED TO BE LUBED!!! Any kind of silicone spray or whatever you would normally lube a cable with is fine.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
they sell a cable lube ..and a tool to put on cable to force lube threw out the whole cable..worth getting....the cable lube is by PJ1..and the lube tool is this...
Motion Pro Cable Lube 08-0182

3M sells a lube that is teflon based..I bet that would work just as well...I seen it Home depot or lowes....I may get some my self to spray plow blade....but its a good idea to lube cables...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't spend what I spent to not take care of it lol. If I break it riding the p out of it so be it... But not because I didn't maintain it.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
I didn't spend what I spent to not take care of it lol. If I break it riding the p out of it so be it... But not because I didn't maintain it.
I like how you think :cowboy:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts