Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a new carburetor for my 07 Polaris outlaw 500 IRS and I have no slack in my throttle cable. I did all the adjustments at the handlebars and I am stymied how to adjust the slack at the carburetor?

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
Why did you replace the carb? Whenever changing carbs with other than exact same units, changing cables may be required also.

It's near impossible to suggest how to rectify the problem without complete details of what brand and dimensions of carb you obtained. If you bought the carb from Polaris or Mikuni and got a BSR42, it would be a plug and play operation - if you got a Keihin FCR, a custom cable is required. An Edlebrock is usually sold as a kit with a cable.

It's a pain, but without ordering a custom cable the cable sheath needs to be shortened - I learned to do this in the 70's building race bikes - without ordering or constructing a custom cable, I would determine how much I needed to shorten the outside housing to effectively lengthen the inner wire - I would remove the ferrule, cut about 1/2 inch more plastic covering from the spiral wound outer cable than the amount I intended to shorten it - I then use a GOOD quality sharp diagonal wire cutter and nip pieces of the spiral wound wire off the sheath until it was shortened the required amount to provide the inner wire length that was needed for correct operation of the carb and install it.

I should mention I destroyed several cables before I perfected the technique. The easy way (but not cheap) is to figure out how long the inner and outer wires need to be, ship the old cable to Motion Pro with the desired length of inner and outer parts, wait 3 weeks (depending on the work load of the custom cable shop) and for about $100 get the perfect cable. You might be able to find a Harley or custom bike shop in your locale with cable making supplies that could do the same thing for about the same price, but quicker (sometimes while u wait).

Good luck

1 - 2 of 2 Posts