Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 scrambler that was sitting in garage for a couple years. Went to use it, the throttle was frozen. Worked great last time i ran it. I thought it might be the throttle cable,but cable was free when i took it off. That when i noticed that piece that the cable connects to inside carb doesnt want to move when you pull on cable or try to move it manually. Also had a little corrosion in there. How hard of fix is this? Any tricks to fix? Is this a total carb rebuild?
Thanks for any help im new to this.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:cowboy:

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have a 2001 scrambler that was sitting in garage for a couple years. Went to use it, the throttle was frozen. Worked great last time i ran it. I thought it might be the throttle cable,but cable was free when i took it off. That when i noticed that piece that the cable connects to inside carb doesnt want to move when you pull on cable or try to move it manually. Also had a little corrosion in there. How hard of fix is this? Any tricks to fix? Is this a total carb rebuild?
Thanks for any help im new to this.
I had the same thing happen on a 3 wheeler that set for longer than I know. The gas in the tank had turn to varnish/sludge and the carb was completely locked up. We did a do it yourself carb cleaning and it was ok but if you let it set for a week or so it would lock back up. Took the carb to a professional so they could soak and clean it in solutions that they use and that fixed it. Mine was so bad it was like the carb was filled with concrete everything was rock solid and nothing would move. Better drain and fully clean gas tank/filters.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok i took the carb off. I found that the throttle plate is completely stuck, no movement at all. I cant take it apart any more because its stuck in the closed position. Does any body have an idea how to unstick plate, so i can take the carb apart to clean it. I tried carb cleaner, PB blaster and no luck.

http://www.polarisatvforums.com/forums/members/wmz67-albums-2001-polaris-500-picture3005-hpim0020.jpg http://www.polarisatvforums.com/forums/members/wmz67-albums-2001-polaris-500-picture3006-hpim0023.jpg

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Usually a couple love taps with a hammer and a bunch of soakings with the pb blaster works. just keep soaking,it'll come loose

1 - 5 of 5 Posts