Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the thread but got a question just recently got my first atv(2014 polaris sportsman 850 xp) lovin it but what's bothering me is it chokes out from a dead stop when I pin it. Other then that it runs fine I think itspushing to much fuel through it. I'm bringing it to the dealer to c if they can do something with the computer let me know what u guys think and I'll let guys know if it works. Thanks

·
Registered
460 Posts
It could be fouled plugs...the 850's are bad about it.
many people run NGK Iridiums.

Part number ILZKAR7A10.

The new plugs helped mine at first, but now it is doing it again. I agree with you, they seem to run rich at idle/low speed.

Good luck and keep us posted on what the dealer says, I am interested to see if they find the problem.

·
Registered
978 Posts
dont have the 850 but i got the 800 and mine when its not warmed up all the way will lag when hitting the gas hard. After its warmed up its a screamer. If you are doing this fully warmed up then yea id go with it getting to much fuel or junk plugs. But with a brand new wheeler if you have junk plugs already there is something wrong

·
Registered
460 Posts
Good point jjack88.

Mine does it hot or cold...I just assumed he meant both. Thanks for adding that detail.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Side note but could be air flow also with air filter.

·
Registered
118 Posts
My wife's 2013 850xp is a slow revv'r as well. Just seems a bit dead on initial smash of the throttle. It's got new plugs and no difference really. Once you're moving a bit it screams.
All kawi's have a built in timing retard built into the CDI to keep fellas from flipping over. I'd say polaris did the same sort of thing.
This may not be all your problem. But I'd bet dollars to donuts it's part of the slow rev problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
If it's brand new maybe it just needs to get broken in a bit more? Especially in the cold it's probably gonna spit and fart a bit til you get it broken in.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Have you already broken it in?

Aside from the potential for fuel flow or combustion/spark plug problems, you can quickly destroy your CVT belt if you start throwing the hammer down before breaking it in properly. Even a super-tough heavy-duty aftermarket belt will destroy itself if you don't break it in properly. Varying throttle positions (NOT wide open) for the first few hours will help keep your belt in proper working order for a long time.

Also, your engine would benefit from being ridden easy the first few hours. They'll be plenty of time for hammer-down driving later.

·
Registered
978 Posts
id say if its that noticable and cant get answers here....bring it in. Brand new wheeler should run brand new

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's what I'm gonna do just kinda wanted your guys advice on it if anyone new what was wrong

·
Registered
270 Posts
Seems like a lot of riders agree that the throttle lag you experience is related to the stock poor clutching. Comparing my 2013 850 with a buddies 700 Griz, the grizzly seems to have more pep off the line than mine. A good clutch kit is supposed to fix this problem apparently. QSC is a highly recommended kit on this site.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK got it at the dealer they r gona check the computer and c what's going. I'll give u guys a heads up on what happens fingers crossed right now

·
Registered
28 Posts
My 2012 850 does the same thing, I'm picking up my new NGK iredium spark plugs tomorrow, hopefully that will take care of throttle response and hard start issue

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Check to c if your fuel pump is running to high on psi that's what was wrong with it

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts