Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding my 04 sportsman 600 yesterday throttle was fine. Started it up this morning and the throttle is sticking. If I push the gas and let off it sticks but the rpms very slowly drop. If I push the gas more than half way the rpms just keep going up and I have to manually pull the throttle back, I sprayed some penetrating oil in the throttle housing and down the throttle cable but didn't help much. Don't know what else to do besides get a new cable but I don't know why I feel like the cable isn't the issue?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I also pulled the housing off on the side of the carb for the throttle and cleaned it with carb cleaner. Didn't look all that bad to start.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Sounds like it's time to replace the throttle cable (or at least lube it, but it likely won't last long).

·
Registered
434 Posts
The cable is fraying inside the cable housing. Lubrication would not do much to help at that point. Your cable is junk and dangerous. I would not ride that for nothing until its replaced.
I had a throttle cable fray internally on a Honda 350X three wheeler. I was in third gear going through the woods when it got hung up. Very dangerous situation.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had something similar happen to me eaststreet. Just ordered a new cable. Should be here tomorrow or Wednesday!!

·
Registered
434 Posts
When you get the new cable, take the old one and cut the knob off the end. Pull the cable out of the line and see if there was a fray or kink. This will assure that you have in fact found the culprit.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Check the butterfly for smooth operation. No varnish buildup or burring.

·
Registered
434 Posts
By the way, are the return springs still working? When you said earlier that you have to pull the thottle back that makes me think its likely the cable or the return spring.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can check the butterfly when I replace the cable. I have to manually pull the throttle back correct.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Going to pull the carb off tomorrow and check the butter fly. I think that might be my issue. Replacing the cable cant hurt either.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts