Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed the other day that one of the two wires that go to the thumb warmer had worn and broke. By the end of the day, the second one had worn and broke as well. I mentioned it to a guy I was riding with, and he said that's common, as those wires are always getting moved and rubbed as the throttle lever is pushed in and out. Sucks, because there's only like 1/4inch of wire left on the heater side, which will make it difficult to solder back together.

Wanted to ask if anyone knows any simple tricks to avoid this happening in the future. I thought that maybe giving it more slack, or a slack loop or something may prevent this from happening again...?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I just installed a thumb warmer the other day. I put a small zip tie about 1/2" from the heater solder joints around the wires and lever. By carefully routing the cable, I eliminated all bending and most flexing. It's all about routing. A small amount of slack is needed but too much isn't good either as the excess cable will tend to bend.

Mark

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, ill be careful when I repair and reroute it. Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I just installed a thumb warmer the other day. I put a small zip tie about 1/2" from the heater solder joints around the wires and lever. By carefully routing the cable, I eliminated all bending and most flexing. It's all about routing. A small amount of slack is needed but too much isn't good either as the excess cable will tend to bend.

Mark
X2

A well placed zip tie does wonders.

·
Registered
729 Posts
When you install the shrink tube over the heat pad make sure you cover the whole pad to the outer side of the pad,BUT try to cover as much as the wire leading to the pad as you can. After that is done depress the throttle all the way down and then zip tie the incased part of the wire to the bar. When you let off the throttle you will have just the right amount of slack in there. If there is enough tubing around the length of wire you may want to try to get that under the shrink tube also but that may make it too stiff. Otherwise you should be good. I have had problems with symtecs and the wire pulling out of the grip itself , I upgraded to the TUSK brand from Rocky Mountain Atv and the quality is much better,no problems since. I also found it wise to glue the grips in place on the initial install.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts