Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok this is for the ones that know more than me. Which is must of y'all. I have a 01 scrambler 500 2x4 that I've been putting some work in and money. They go hand and hand. So the previous owner put new tie rods on this machine. They wrecked it good. The steering post was bent. So I put a new one in and when I was putting the tie rods back on I noticed that they had a spacer where the tie rod normally goes and the tie rods bolted underneath. Is this some sort of up grade or is this something they did to fix the bent post. Here is a pic of the tie rods the way they had them and a pic of my 400 xplorer. My 500 sportsman is the same as the 400. Plus the service manuel for the scrambler shows it going between the 2 tabs on the steering post with no spacers.
Thanks all for any info
Ron

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Forgot the pics

·
9,430 Posts
Tor a 2001 Scrambler 2x4 that is exactly the way OEM is supposed to be. Number 3 in the pic is the bushing and there are 2 of them. Its all about steering geometry for the different machines. Some of the older Sportmans have ONE spacer with the tie rod end under like yours and the other tie rode end goes BETWEEN the steering frog ears like your other picture. On those machines the strut attachment ears are offset at different heights on the left and right so it MUST go that way to steer correctly.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm glad you posted that pic. My service manuel is for an 02. I forgot. Normally I catch things like that. But i didnt have to order parts so i didnt catch the difference.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That would make a steeper angle for the tie rod if it was up between. Makes sense. Thank you

1 - 4 of 4 Posts