Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of, or are familiar with, quality replacement/upgraded tie rods? I have one that is bent and I'm looking to replace both tie rods and ends on the front. A buddy of mine, a bit inexperienced, found a hidden stump off to the side of a trail we were riding, and bent the right tie rod. I found one on highlifter, but the one review wasn't too flattering.

I'm wondering if anyone has replaced a tie rod that they're happy with. It seems that tie rod ends are everywhere, but the tie rods themselves are a bit elusive.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
576 Posts
I have found that the stock tie-rod ends will wear quicker with larger tires. I'm not sure of aftermarket parts; but for me stock works just fine and is easy to replace.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply.

I went ahead and ordered the American Star Tie Rods, in an attempt to upgrade, since I had to change the tie rod anyway. Has anyone used these? There doesn't seem to be enough room for the tie rod ends to fit on the lower steering assembly. Currently I have both of them in and zip tied to the upper a-arms (parallel to the ground) and they're touching. There's no way to attach them to the steering knuckle without forcing/bending something.

The problem appears to be that they're cylindrical and the oem ones are spherical, so they have a bit more room at the angle they need to be mounted at.

Just wondering if anyone has any advice before I contact American Star and try to return them. Here's a pic of them as they sit now and one of how the oem ones fit.

Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
What does the other end of the rods look like?

·
Premium Member
10,578 Posts
u didnt just bend a tie-rod u bent ur steering stem (the part the inner tie-rods attach to). if u ride like that u will be putting ur self in harms way because at that angle the tie-rods are in a vulenerable position and could break and u would have a loss of steering condition. i was also going to add that the stock tie-rods are very stout and to stick with them. and ur pictures are an attestement to that because ur bike took a shot and a half.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info. The ends are the same on both sides of the new ones. Here's a pic of a new tie rod, an oem one and the bent one I'm replacing:

From what I can tell on the 550 parked next to this one (and photos I found online), the steering post mounting bracket for the inner ends is also angled. I'm sure if it got tweaked more when it hit the stump or if these ends are just too large (the oem ones are more rounded).

I was just wondering if anyone else has run into this, the space seems too tight. I'll replace the steering post bracket if it's bent too much or swap out the bent rod with an oem one.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Will they clear if you put them on top of the bracket?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Never had to replace mine but went out and looked at them and they fit with very little clearance but I think you may have bent that angle bracket a bit. Something is definitly out of whack. Good luck.

·
Registered
434 Posts
couldnt you just mount them on top where there is alot of room .........i dissagree with highmark i think the oem tie rods are weak and have also been looking for a good replacement i heard goo things about 'all balls" tie rod ends but little to find on tie rods ......do they seem like a stronger replacement??? do they seem better then oem???? if youve gotten them on have you had any other problems ???

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So...I tried again for 10 mins this morning (not enough space to mount on top of the bracket) and still couldn't get them to work. I emailed American Star some photos and asked how they installed them. They called back agreeing that they wouldn't fit and said they're sending me the pro-moly tie rods with the smaller ends (I assume heim ends).

Gangle04: The tie rods are nice and are beefier than the oem ones, but I can't really comment on them too much, since I couldn't get the ends to fit.

I'll throw up a pic with the new ones on once I get them...in case anyone cares.

·
Registered
434 Posts
kk sounds good please do ill probably order a set to i have a bent rod and a re-straightend rod as it is

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok so, new ones came in...super quick hooray!

It's kind of hard to tell but the new ones are about 1/10" larger in diameter. The new ends are a lot smaller.

I used the spacers that came with them on the steering bracket, because there's a bracket just above where they mount that the screws were hitting.

...and after the install...no rubbing.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

·
Registered
434 Posts
look like they would wear quikly not having any sort of boot or grease to protect from the mud and rust but still do look better then polaris's and rods look alot beefier

·
Registered
7 Posts
Zim, what year is your 550? I am looking at the American tie Ross as well, would you recommend them over stock?

·
Registered
553 Posts
I have he American Stars on my 850 and they have held up really well. The stock ones did not make it a year!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have he American Stars on my 850 and they have held up really well. The stock ones did not make it a year!
That is good to hear. Did you go with the heim, I think that is what they called them, tie rod ends with the moly tie rods? I am having a hard time finding something other than stock for my '09.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Mine are just the regular tie rod ends not the hyms. The rods and joints are much stronger then stock.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts