Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have finally reached 25 hrs on my 2013 Sportsmen 850 XP HO EPS and its now time for my first oil change.I got 2 quarts of the polaris oil and the filter.what is the proper procedure to change the oil? I know I have to start the engine and warm it up for a few minutes to make the oil easier to come out but are there other steps?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
nope...thats about it...please note that the drain plug is a 6mm allen fitting. Replace the copper crush washer and torque to 12ft or 16nM...i always use a Inch Pound torque wrench and use 144 inch pounds..

I use a socket style filter wrench and it works great.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I have finally reached 25 hrs on my 2013 Sportsmen 850 XP HO EPS and its now time for my first oil change.I got 2 quarts of the polaris oil and the filter.what is the proper procedure to change the oil? I know I have to start the engine and warm it up for a few minutes to make the oil easier to come out but are there other steps?

As far as the engine oil, that is about it. I always get mine up to operating temp before I change the oil. Be sure you have a filter wrench that fits your filter. The factory filter on my 550 was a bit different size than the replacement filter. I bought a replacement filter at the dealer. Drain the oil, change filter, refill the crankcase, check for leaks.

You may want to look into changing the lube in the front and rear differential, as well as the transmission. Lots of material will be on the magnets of the drain plug magnets from break-in.

·
Registered
16 Posts
What others have said and get a grease gun and lube all of the zerks. Two purposes are served doing this. Lubin' the joints and it gives you a chance to inspect the undercarriage.

·
Registered
815 Posts
What others have said and get a grease gun and lube all of the zerks. Two purposes are served doing this. Lubin' the joints and it gives you a chance to inspect the undercarriage.
good thing to mention. Stuff gets missed by polaris occasionally.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
You may want to look into changing the lube in the front and rear differential, as well as the transmission. Lots of material will be on the magnets of the drain plug magnets from break-in.
Good advise..... change engine oil/filter, front diff, rear tranny/diff and grease all zerks.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Engine oil, front & rear diff as well as trans fluid should be changed. As mentioned, get a grease gun with a long flex hose to make it easier on yourself as the upper a arm grease points are a little difficult to get to.

Had my first service done at 10hrs through my dealer, once I hit 25hrs I will do it again and then every 25hrs after that myself...the manual says something about if you ride at a higher speed the service intervals should be shortened.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
was not aware there was a separate drain plug.I thought you drain the oil out the hole where the oil filter was. I do have the polaris oil filter wrench.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
was not aware there was a separate drain plug.I thought you drain the oil out the hole where the oil filter was. I do have the polaris oil filter wrench.

You still have your manual right?...You need to read your manual from front to back and get familiar with your quad, proper maintenance goes a long way on these higher hp machines.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts