Polaris ATV Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 polaris 850 xp non eps. It only has 520 miles on it, I put some aftermarket accessories on it and bigger tires. Since i have purchased it new its been in the shop 3 times for the oil in the air box which was finally fixed last year, That was no big deal to me since the dealer stood behind it, Since then i have put all the a/arm bushings in from jcapri and solved that issue. I have also replaced the ball joints in it. Now all of my tie rod ends are loose and need replacement. I feel after 500 miles i shouldn't have had to replace everything that i have and now whats even more concerning is the fact that i hearing about all these 2011 engines that are starting to become more common with the connecting rods blowing out of the side of the engine. Should i trade it in now before i anythings else starts going bad on it including the engine? I dont know what to do. I paid the atv off last year so i don't owe any money on it and just recently had next surgery 3 weeks ago because of nerve damage in my left shoulder, So now im thinking something with power steering would be best. I am only 30 years old lol. But i respect the members on here and wanna know what i should do. If i did trade it in im thinking about giving can-am a shot, not sure i want to go with Polaris again. Im just so frustrated right now. The dealer will give $6500 trade in as it sits. Im Lost please help Fellas lol.

·
Registered
377 Posts
You should get the machine that makes you happy, if you can afford it.
It sounds like this one is not making you happy, and it sounds like you can afford to step it up.
You don't really need us to tell you what to do.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I'd research online and find the machine that fits you and your budget. test drive several and see which one you like the best. if eps is a must, Polaris makes the EPS with the most assist. just fyi... any XP machine is going to require more maintenance than the value sportsman's. you might even consider a 570 sportsman with eps.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I am in the same boat as you are. I have sunk so many dollars into my XP to keep it going it is unreal. I don't know why the XP's need so much TLC to keep them on the trail. . The value line models just keep on trucking. The value lines do have problems but how many owners of them have to replace ball joints, bushings, brakes, valves, PS Units and now whole engines on the 850's in the short amount of time we have them. Polaris doesn't seem to care because people are still posting over the same problems that have plagued the XP's from day one and nothing has been done.
Look at the 570. It has power steering and it is off the value line platform so it should last longer than the XP line. Been looking at the white one myself but I am not sure i am ready to buy yet.

Ronnie

·
Registered
901 Posts
The only thing no matter what brand you can get a lemon I own 2 canam's had good luck with both but go on there forum and there is issues as well so its a hard decision. I had a 09 XP and loved it never had a real issue..they all make good machines the King Quad is a really good one from what I have read also....good luck

·
Super Moderator
7,054 Posts
It would be interesting to hear from someone that has gone from an XP to a 570, and hear how they think they compare. Not just mechanically, but all aspects of the two different machines. The tricky part is to get a true, honest comparison. It's hard sometimes for some people to say if they don't like something about a big purchase they just made. And trying to find an honest comparison between different brands is even harder on a brand specific forum. There's good and bad in all of them.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I am in the same boat as you are. I have sunk so many dollars into my XP to keep it going it is unreal. I don't know why the XP's need so much TLC to keep them on the trail. . The value line models just keep on trucking. The value lines do have problems but how many owners of them have to replace ball joints, bushings, brakes, valves, PS Units and now whole engines on the 850's in the short amount of time we have them. Polaris doesn't seem to care because people are still posting over the same problems that have plagued the XP's from day one and nothing has been done.
Look at the 570. It has power steering and it is off the value line platform so it should last longer than the XP line. Been looking at the white one myself but I am not sure i am ready to buy yet.

Ronnie
That's the exact reason I went the biggest value line machine I could!!

The only thing bad with the 570..... it isn't a "tried, true and proven" machine yet. Sure different parts of it are.... but not all in one / the same basket. And as any first year production, "I don't want to be the genie pig!!"

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i dont think i could go to a 570. I need/want the extra power. I ride 2-up alot and love the power of the big bore bikes. I would be more apt to keeping mine if i didnt have to worry about the engine now

·
Registered
901 Posts
If you ride alot of 2 up then you should either get a touring or CA Max or AC trv riding 2 up on a stock one up is no were near as comfortable then on 2 up you should check them out you would be amazed at how well they handle with a passenger

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
What do you need the exta power for? I have a 500X2 and it has taken me and the wife everywhere we needed to go and then some. I have been as high as 13000ft and never once did I think we wouldn't make it. I know it is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Ronnie

·
Registered
7,464 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
What do you need the exta power for?

Ronnie
Adrenaline Rush...... :D
Nailed it, I love the rush, Ive always had fast and powerful bikes. I owned an 09 500 before this and it was great, just not the power i was looking for. Before that ive had a brute force, 250r's, ds650, 450r , etc.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Understood!!!! Just asking. I once felt the same way. If it wasn't fast it wasn't any fun. My all time favorite machine was a Kawasaki Tecate 4. Pipped and ported it was a screamer. In a straight line with the same mods nothing could beat it but on the MX course it just couldn't keep up with the 250R or the Suzuki. Now that I am over 50 speed just doesn't seem that important anymore.

Ronnie

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
What do you need the exta power for?

Ronnie
Adrenaline Rush...... :D
Nailed it, I love the rush, Ive always had fast and powerful bikes. I owned an 09 500 before this and it was great, just not the power i was looking for. Before that ive had a brute force, 250r's, ds650, 450r , etc.
Once you've ridden those types of machines, value line isn't going to cut it.

My great friend has a history with 14 machines in 4 years and frequently goes back to can-am because they fit his riding style. He currently has a 1000 max xt. Nice machine but in 500 miles it has been back to the dealer 3 times. EPS failure, bent steering stem, and left rear wheel bearing (all covered under warranty).

I'm not hating on can-am at all, great machines but just saying they have issues right out of the box too.

It sounds like you've taken care of the most common issues with your model and unfortunately when you get these high performing machines things break down.

I say like others, if you really like the quad but are just pissed about replacing some parts, keep it. But if you're after something new and different, trade it.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No i absolutely love my 850 xp as far as performance and comfort but now with all the recent goings as far as the 2011 engine failures i have to be honest, it has me questioning mine when i ride it now. If i cant ride my atv without thinking is the motor going to let loose than whats the fun in that?

·
Registered
944 Posts
Keeping it ....

your atv only has 500 miles, so at that low annual rate, how many years until the supposed motor issue may happen ? Does your XP have 14 inch wheels with the anti-kick back ? If so PS will help somewhat less, but would help steering in general.. When you're healed, ride your bike and see if it aggravates your neck.

Selling it.....

You get a new bike! Your trade-in quote would about cover a 570's price. Any other bike would be fine too. CA's are nice. Be careful putting on wider and larger wheels and tires. Won't they make it more of a struggle, straining your injury ?

Good luck !

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
No i absolutely love my 850 xp as far as performance and comfort but now with all the recent goings as far as the 2011 engine failures i have to be honest, it has me questioning mine when i ride it now. If i cant ride my atv without thinking is the motor going to let loose than whats the fun in that?
I hear you on that. You have to have confidence in your quad!!

But, out of the huge numbers of engines that have been produced, how many have really thrown rods? I don't know that the problem is far and wide like the cheap bushings are.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
get a touring edition if you ride a lot of two up. I can understand your frustration and bottom line is you gotta do what makes you happy...give the canam a whirl and see how it fits you and decide from there. FWIW, every brand has some issues...as well as strengths...just need to decide what fits you the best

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
That's why i traded i was worried about engine failure. Now i have warranty again.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
With a good net worth you can trade like that. Some that finance dont wont to get upside down on an atv that is not a necessity to life.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.