Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all the bike is a 2010 w/54 total hours, so wasn't used much till recently (bought 3 weeks ago w/43 hours), ran well, started ez, now the cooler weather is settling into central texas, the batt maybe going south. today it started, ran 5 secs (w/out choke) and died, tried to restart but not anywhere near enough juice to crank engine. so i figure a 4 year old batt (bike was built nov 2009) is about it as far an expected life, so time for a new one. walmart? which 'type' or size do i aim for? i'm looking to go buy one later this evening. thanks.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Bought mine from "batterymart.com". I had the original 2008 Polaris battery in my 500 touring. I wanted the AGM type which is maintenance free. I believe it is the big crank brand. It cost about $100. But well worth it - $20 per year. Put the old one in my lawn tractor and is still going. Replaced it because I was thinking about going out to Wyoming, and wanted to make sure I had good starting in the mountains.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Went to walmart in marble falls, bought an "EverStart ES45LBS PowerSport Battery" for $34.88 + 3.00 (Texas disposal fee). Its an AGM type, smaller (mostly in height) than original polaris batt. I was able to get the old batt out w/out removing anything but the batt cables, so this one will go in super ez, though the polarity is reversed left to right, so that might add some fun. Odd part is the electrolyte is added by the user then you wait 30 mins and charge a couple hours before use at less than 2 amps/hour rate with an auto charger. Now i won't have to worry about being left far away from camp on foot!

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well according to several sites - AGM batteries differ from flooded lead acid batteries in that the electrolyte is held in the glass mats, as opposed to freely flooding the plates. Very thin glass fibers are woven into a mat to increase surface area enough to hold sufficient electrolyte on the cells for their lifetime. The fibers that compose the fine glass mat do not absorb nor are they affected by the acidic electrolyte. Many modern motorcycles and ATVs on the market use AGM batteries to reduce likelihood of acid spilling during cornering, vibration, or after accidents, and for packaging reasons. The lighter, smaller battery can be installed at an odd angle if needed for the design of the motorcycle. So yes AGA batts have electrolyte just not in a complete liquid form to prevent spills and such. :werd:

·
Registered
343 Posts
You didn't buy an AGM at Walmart for $35!
We, in the repair industry call them Neverstart batteries.
Good Luck

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
AGM batt prices coming down!

I didn't believe it either till i saw it. The cost to make this type of batt is coming down alot lately, competition is good! Once the acid is poured in (really easy how they designed it) the mat absorbs it and its jel like where there is no swishing around, then once you place the sealing plugs on top, its shut and can't leak when bounced around. I think they keep the price partly down with having the end user add the acid and it extends life. Did have to charge it really slowly at less than 1.5 amp/hr, sez any faster will shorten life. Its also shorter in height so you can drop in the batt from beneath left wheel and not remove fender. :cowboy:

·
Registered
184 Posts
I boughta "Chrome Battery" (Brand Name) off of Amazon, made in Indianapolis, free shipping and no core. got it in 2 days. It has worked great and was about $45

·
Registered
343 Posts
I just looked that battery up and it says it uses AGM technology! not that it is a true AGM battery, it is misleading and some people will fall for it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I just looked that battery up and it says it uses AGM technology! not that it is a true AGM battery, it is misleading and some people will fall for it.
Very true and misleading. Also remember that for an AGM battery you will need a special charger for it should you ever need one. Our Mecury boat motors at work require a 1000 CA AGM battery and I had to buy special charger to use on them also. Do a little research on AGM batteries. They are a sealed battery. You can't add anything to them. They are also still very costly.

Spring for a good interstate battery or one from the dealership. Some batteries bought at walmart and so on can't handle the vibrations/jarring around and so on that and ATV causes.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ahh! fooled again...

There's the catch! Ok guys I believe ya, I was snookered by the battery rascals. I will keep the chrome batt in , mind for when this one leaves me stranded on my 5400 acre deer lease, better take walking shoes or call a friend! Da##it! :)

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I've been using these DEKA AGMs for nearly 10 years... they are high quality.

Maybe someone has really abused them and can say otherwise but I have yet to kill one.

Free shipping

Specifications

Cold Cranking Amps 400 CCA
Ah Rate 26 Ah
Charge Rate 6.0 Amps
Weight (Approx.) 21.7 Lbs
Dimensions

Length 6 5/8"
Width 5 3/16"
Height 6 7/8"
Features

Superior Vibration Resistance - Protects against long trips, off-road travel and pounding waves
2x the Cycle Life - Compared to conventional batteries
Lower Internal Resistance - Higher discharge rates for faster starts
Low Self-Discharging Rate - Longer off-season storage
Spillproof Design - Protects the rider, equipment and environment
What makes the ETX30L Deka Intimidator better than the competition?

Safety Relief Valve System
Ensures no-leak safety and extends premium performance
Molded Top and Side Connection Terminals
Provides ease of installation, increased strength and durability
Fortified Posts, Straps and Welds
Premium Resistance to vibration damage and maximum current transfer
Heavy-Duty Power-Perform Plates
Optimizes battery's power and energy storage capacity
Optimized Component Compression
Provides superior vibration resistance
Ultra-Pure Demineralized Electrolyte
Precision filled for extended life
Stainless Steel Terminal Bolts
Prevent corrosion on battery and equipment

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fool me once...

shame on well you know how that goes...Yeah maybe i got fooled then again I'm not sure what the diff would be between "AGM technology" and "true AGM" but ultimately only time will tell huh or if it quacks like a duck it must be a duck? :ponder: So, I'll report back in a few months. It charged up really fast as a super slow .5 amp/hr rate in a total of 90 mins. voltage is a nice 13.01, i will check it in a week to see where we're at and then monthly or when i remember...

·
Registered
184 Posts
The chrome battery I mentioned is just a standard battery, I just liked the price and that it was made locally.

I should switch to AGM but I am always broke when I need a battery ;)

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Eveready?

Well after all the joshing over eveready being a pos batt, i get to my deer lease and see my buddies trustly old 325 magnum has a 6 year old eveready batt on it. So it seems they are capable of lasting awhile. More reports on 'nevereadys' to come. :silvia:

·
Registered
343 Posts
Well after all the joshing over eveready being a pos batt, i get to my deer lease and see my buddies trustly old 325 magnum has a 6 year old eveready batt on it. So it seems they are capable of lasting awhile. More reports on 'nevereadys' to come. :silvia:
Just wondering how the battery is doing?

·
Registered
68 Posts
This is the same battery that NAPA sells as its premium line and is pricey, but worth the money
I've been using these DEKA AGMs for nearly 10 years... they are high quality.

Maybe someone has really abused them and can say otherwise but I have yet to kill one.

Free shipping

Specifications

Cold Cranking Amps 400 CCA
Ah Rate 26 Ah
Charge Rate 6.0 Amps
Weight (Approx.) 21.7 Lbs
Dimensions

Length 6 5/8"
Width 5 3/16"
Height 6 7/8"
Features

Superior Vibration Resistance - Protects against long trips, off-road travel and pounding waves
2x the Cycle Life - Compared to conventional batteries
Lower Internal Resistance - Higher discharge rates for faster starts
Low Self-Discharging Rate - Longer off-season storage
Spillproof Design - Protects the rider, equipment and environment
What makes the ETX30L Deka Intimidator better than the competition?

Safety Relief Valve System
Ensures no-leak safety and extends premium performance
Molded Top and Side Connection Terminals
Provides ease of installation, increased strength and durability
Fortified Posts, Straps and Welds
Premium Resistance to vibration damage and maximum current transfer
Heavy-Duty Power-Perform Plates
Optimizes battery's power and energy storage capacity
Optimized Component Compression
Provides superior vibration resistance
Ultra-Pure Demineralized Electrolyte
Precision filled for extended life
Stainless Steel Terminal Bolts
Prevent corrosion on battery and equipment

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
$100 on amazon, shipped. This is for tge ETX30L. Fit my 2006 x2 and RZR 570. Your fitment may vary.

Sean

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have found when you need dependable starts, you need a battery that is designed for ATVs. I have a 2006 Sportsman 800 EFI and just replaced my original battery. I bought a ThrottleX Battery ADX30L. It cost me $108.95 with free shipping. https://www.throttlexbatteries.com/Store_ProductDetail.aspx?pid=782240FAA9D25150
I have extra lights and a Warn Winch and use it often for winter plowing, so I need something reliable.
You can go inexpensive and take the risks that go along with that, but buy the best available and need not to worry.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts