Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
13' 850 with about 375 miles about 76 hrs.

Polaris said not covered. I could get a discounted crank but have to pay labor cost to have it installed at dealer. So Im just going to fix it myself. Should be around $200 all said and done.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Not a bad repair cost.... but something that you shouldn't have to do @ 375+ miles!!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not a bad repair cost.... but something that you shouldn't have to do @ 375+ miles!!
I agree! I spun the gear back with very minimal effort.

You can see the black factory line, the little dot next to it is where it spun to. Just waiting on gaskets now.

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can see it moved about 2 teeth.
No visible damage to any other parts.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I think the big thing is to catch it with hard starting and poor idle.

Its the best way to prevent serious damage.

I wonder how many issues have to be reported before they issue a recall?!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think the big thing is to catch it with hard starting and poor idle.

Its the best way to prevent serious damage.

I wonder how many issues have to be reported before they issue a recall?!
Yea, mine was 2 teeth off. It started fine but had poor performance on the low end. no power til 2500rpms+

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
^ i was surprised yours started so well with it being that far out.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So a few people have asked about welding the gear.
After I spun it back I bought it to my friend who is a professional welder. He put 2 welds about 1/4in long 180* apart. He used a tig welder with no filler. So all it did was melt the two metals together. So no material was added or removed. Balance should be right on.

·
Registered
737 Posts
That was what I would I would do. Let us know how it holds up.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Seems to be getting more common.
Should hold up fine as long as I get it together right lol
Should have it together Friday

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So Its been back together for about a week. I got 35 miles on it. so far so good.

·
Premium Member
7,687 Posts
Nice repair. Thanx for sharing. Keeping my fingers crossed. Keep use updated.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have a 13 850 sporty, a 14 400 HO sporty and goin Saturday to get a new 14 850 magnetic metallic LE sporty. So far as I can tell polaris calls everything that screws up a "wearable" item lol I've been lucky so far, no major issues and my 13 850 is my toy and it gets beat on hard on the rides. About 700 miles on it now, doing upper and lower HD ball joints on the right side Saturday after we get back and I'm gonna be contacting the guy on here about some bushings because my right rear upper is about shot. That's a lotta stuff in my opinion to be fixing but this deal with the timing gear spinning, thisssss scares me a little lol. I'm very interested to see how welding it works for ya, best of luck! Maybe popo has improved on it for 14 or 15?

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Glad she is holding up Jon, making me wish I would've gone this route vs the crank replacement.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
This really sickens me. You guys are dropping well over $10,000 ($11,300 up here.) for a new 850 and this is how Polaris treats you? I would be telling them to shove their two piece China Mart cranks up their asses, and shopping elsewhere.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts