Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a predator and thought had good deal. Ran not even a tank of gas and it sputtered a little. Got doggy made it home tho and it didnt start the following day. I have no knowledge of stuff like this but tore into it anyway it turns out it had slipped time on the exaust side. Read up on timing tdc. And timing marks all on compression stroke. And reshimmed also. I got back together started right up got less than a mile and it popped and got little sluggish it slipped again on exaust side two teeth everything looked fine cgain wise teeth are fine feels tight but how is it slipping and why. Im nervous to ride again cause dont wanna further damage anything. How tight is the chain suppose to be and it also has tapping noise but i have correct valve clearance. Any help or suggestions ?

·
Registered
7,959 Posts
You need to replace the cam chain, possibly the chain sliders and inspect the tensioner mechanism for proper operation

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You need to replace the cam chain, possibly the chain sliders and inspect the tensioner mechanism for proper operation
How tight is it ssuppose to be. I have about a quarter inch of play when pulling on it pretty hard. Appreciate the help will try the chain and do you know. The symptons of a bent valve or bad valve ?

·
Registered
7,959 Posts
there should be no play in the cam chain - bent valve = no compression - it will not start or run if a valve is bent

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
there should be no play in the cam chain - bent valve = no compression - it will not start or run if a valve is bent
Thanks for the info. I also was wondering if you dont mind me asking. But does the exaust need to be mounted on rubber mounts or does it need to be flexible cause mine is solid all the way back and no play. Have a ticking noise and think maybe its the pipe but not sure gets louder with engine so might be valves not shimmed right.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts