Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I just replaced my camshaft and am looking to get some tips on setting the timing on my 00' SP 500.

I have the flywheel bolt removed to view the timing mark on flywheel. I am a bit confused here. I see the straight line but i cannot see a mark to line it up with. I have the camshaft and valves all set at right location( i think) When i look in the flywheel hole, the line seems to be a bit forward. Does this mean i need to remove cam chain from the bottom gear and then put the top sprocket back on and reset? I have the service manual and have done everything but i cannot find a "v" looking through that hole to line up flywheel. Was just going by the straight line and how close to center of the hole it was....

any tips or advice is greatly appreciated..

·
Registered
593 Posts
Here's what I found, someone else may have a better answer.

Line up the timing mark on the magneto with the center of the timing inspection hole on the right side engine cover. This is TDC. Now rotate the Cam until the small cam sprocket locating pin is centered up with the top/middle of the head...If you were to draw an imaginary line through the engine. From the Crankshaft up through the camshaft, the pin on the sprocket should be straight inline with it. In other words, the pin needs to line up straight up and down in line with the cylinder.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, I have all that, but while all of the pin and two marks on timing sprocket are lined up with cam, the mark on flywheel seems slightly advanced when looking through the hole. this is what concerns me and what may have been my original problem in first place and the reason i went through my cam so fast. I think i slipped a tooth on chain. Would one tooth of advancement lead to excessive wear on exhaust lobe?

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
No. A worn rocker arm or insufficient lubrication is about the only thing that would cause premature cam wear.
Are you using synthetic oil?
After you've found the crank marks and installed cam, it's best to install the timing chain tensioner and rotate the engine by hand a couple times then recheck timing marks. With timing chain stretch, you may have to move the cam timing back one tooth.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, i will remove tensioner tonight and do some rechecking. When you say by hand you mean by manually rotating the timing chain or by slowly pulling the pull cord? I was using mobil 1 synthetic 0W oil and i now have a new Pure Polaris change kit with the 5w-50 stuff. I replaced exhaust rocker as well as cam...

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
You can also rotate it with a socket on the end of the crank, or with the clutch by hand. Go around a few revolutions and make sure it still lines up. Your chain may be worn and stretched and not holding time too.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, its in, timing done and seems to run fine. It purrs like a kitchen and i can give it a solid rev. Would it do this if it was out of time? I am yet to take it for a rip as i wanted to change oil first. I assume all those shavings from old cam are in the oil somewhere.

I found the V(had to look at more of a sharper angle. I was being to particular. Bit of play there. Got everything TDC, set the valves at 0.006" and started it right up. Well i had to help it along by blowing in the gas tank to get a bit of fuel moving, but after that its all good. Thanks for the tips folks! I hope it runs smooth. It idles and takes throttle nice so......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts