Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a smoking deal on a great Polaris sportsman700twin for hunting predators in the winter. This is my very first atv and I am not sure what I need to know for snow riding and winter use in general any help you all can offer would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Winch, tree straps and tow straps?
Would also have a back country survival bag of sorts, incase you get stranded.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Tire plug kit and mini compressor. Something to start a fire with too.

·
Registered
619 Posts
shovel

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Tracks. You wont find anythinig more useful in snowy conditions. Not only do they reduce your overall footprint weight, but they exponentially increase your traction and "float". THe float being the most important part of snow riding in deep snow. thats why snowmobiles use them. thats not to say you can't get stuck with tracks, but they will serve you far better than tires ever could in snowy conditions. Knowing how to read snow is also good. I'd suggest an avalanche course too. as well as carrying an avi beacon for both you and your machine.

besides that it's typical back country survival equipment.

·
Super Moderator
7,112 Posts
The best thing to take with you when riding in the back country in the snow is another rider and atv. Riding solo in those conditions is not a good idea. Other than that, all the other tips are good as well.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Make sure someone knows where you are going and when you plan on returning.
Exactly what he said. Plus make sure your atv is in good condition. Check all fluids, bushings, etc...

·
Registered
346 Posts
There is small group of us going to empire Saturday. You are welcome to join. Check coatv.com

·
Registered
450 Posts
Never go alone, go with a friend and their ATV. Biggest thing that can save you.

Winch, good tires, clutch kit, backcountry survival kit.

Use your brakes every so often, helps keep the pads from icing up.

Keep a close eye on your machine... Contrary to popular belief, you can easily overheat your engine in snow. Riding a trail with deep snow is the same as riding through mud of the same depth, it's hard on a machine, especially on extended trips...

Carry a small, stuff-bristle hairbrush to clean snow and such off your radiator.

If you're going to run in deep snow year after year, the best thing you can do is buy a snowmachine. Second-best would be to buy tracks for your ATV.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts