Polaris ATV Forum banner

Tips on cleaning the cooked on mud on the exhaust pipes

24K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  CajunTim 
#1 · (Edited)
I am curious to find out if anyone has a tip on how to remove the cooked on dirt/mud off of the exhaust pipe? I cant seem to find anything that works, any tips much appreciated.

#3 ·
I like to wash my quad after getting it muddy of coarse letting it cool down 1st

#4 ·
Mean Green degreaser and a pressure washer if it is really caked on there. Where in Atlanta are you located? We ride all around the Jackson area all the time.

#12 ·
I am in Roswell, I have never riddin in Jackson, do you ride on private property or is there state parks I do not know about?

#5 ·
the exhaust itself? might be some rust to, got a picture?

#6 ·
I'm interested as well. I was gonna spray it down with wd-40 and go at it with a brass wire brush?...

#8 ·
I Don't use one( pressure washer). I wash after every ride. I think the OP and myself are talking about some really baked on stuff from muddy water hitting hot exhaust. Mainly on the headpipe area. I'll take a pic next time I'm out there.

#9 ·
Pressure washer works for me.

#11 ·
spray the pipes with hi heat ceramic paint...the good stuff...not rustoleum....do a few coats..should help with getting mud off....that paint you have to spray on..cook it on with exhaust heat an do again...works good

#14 ·
Hmm, I just might of found a weekend project! Thanks for the advise.

#13 ·
Here is a pict, a pressure washer doesn't seem to get it off for me... That being said I only use one when I am at a park using it at the washdown area. Auto part Pipe Suspension part Fuel line Vehicle brake

#15 ·
Here is a pict, a pressure washer doesn't seem to get it off for me... That being said I only use one when I am at a park using it at the washdown area. View attachment 15945
Yea thats pretty much baked on. Looks like your engine and coolant/oil lines are discolored as well. Hand scrubbing with ajax might get u some where? Paint scrapper on the exhaust or wire brush.

#16 ·
this on an angle grinder will take it right off. Then repaint the whole exhaust with a high heat glossy finish ceramic paint. Wont stick/bake any more.

#17 ·
The only high temp ceramic paint I could find in glossy had a rating of 500 degrees. Will this work? All the higher temp paint was in flat colors.

#19 ·
Lol. That's just after she got a bath using the motorcycle cleaner S100 I mentioned in another thread.

#20 ·
I'm trying that. I'm always skeptical of those type if things but that looks like it works!

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk

#21 ·
It really does clean everything with ease, except the exhaust pipe...

#22 ·
I use cheap braided rope. Depending on how much u want to work wrap the rope more times around it, then alternating pulling each end.

Sit in a chair and do it, u don't have to squat, kneel, bend etc...for long periods.

Try it before everyone starts calling BS, u will be surprised at the results.

#25 ·
And if u note the zip tie, it's because the stupid plastic clip that holds the lower radiator hose in place broke & allowed my hose to ride on my drive shaft chewing it up. I'm fortunate the hose didn't fail on me as I didn't notice it until I was cleaning my bike.

Anyways a quickie to show what a rope can do. I use a cotton rope.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.