Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you that use tire chains when plowing it may seem obvious but does it help you push the snow farther? Are you risking breaking an axle by having to much traction?

I'm thinking about getting chains but I don't want to break anything

Sent from my Triumph using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
fred i have chains for my suzuki..its just a 250 but plows great....I never had a problem using them ..just a unhook here an there...fixed that....I used them mostly when it was wet snow...seemed to bite better...with powder I seemed to slip a bit more....I dont have close to the height as my sportsman does...but I do have mud lites on the suzuki..with just powder it seems better with out chains...more bite....

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
no risk of breaking an axle?
Fred..i cant say about the polaris..but I never broke an axel on the suzuki....and used alot...The zuki is a 5 speed...4 hi an low and also diff lock...I plowed in 4 hi an zipped along with the chains on....Over 18 inches I used low....Diff lock was just to slow....but what power...

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
you're only likely to break an axle if you can bind up the tire. Chains aren't likely to do that they'll add traction. but if you are pushing against something solid, they'll still slip.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Yes..Thor is right..they will slip...that was when they would come undone at times ..but I fixed that...had to use bungie cords to add tension on the chains...fixed that problem..I never had any on the front just the rear tires...and at times added a 50# bag of coal on rear rack for weight...plowed like a bear...

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I want to add them to the rear for more traction. Stock tires suck.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Fred..its way better than stock tires..lol....like any thing you will get a slip here an there..no crazy slipping like a tire....the chains made my traction 100% better...ice spots are about the only place they would slip a bit...not bad...put it this way..money well spent...

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea, cant afford new tires right now. I'm gunna get chains. I just dont want to break anything.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I think my aunt would flipout literally, if she saw bite marks on her blacktop driveway.:)

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
anyone know where I can find some chains that will fit my XP? 26 x 10 x 14

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Fred measure the circumfrence of the tire....then the width..the chains i have are made by Moose...with the V bars on them....when I got them ..I called them an gave my measurements....since I had after market tires I had to get ones that fit another brand machine...

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I looked on there web site and they dont list any for the 550xp. anyone got a part number?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts