Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 500 HO and like to ice fish. Will tire chains make a big differents. Or just a waste of time and money. Will they help in deeper snow? Are they hard on the wheeler? Any info would be great.

·
Registered
319 Posts
When i visited my parents in Wisconsin I tried to use them in the snow and it was terrible unless there was ground to dig to. If it is a soft powdery snow it was no help. If it was icy or when we went ice fishing it helped a lot. My dad also uses them when plowing snow.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
its the only way to go i run chains in the back and screws in the front for steering, they help allot, wish i had a closer pic i run the chains with the u shaped bars on the chains they grab ahold and go

·
Registered
169 Posts
its the only way to go i run chains in the back and screws in the front for steering, they help allot, wish i had a closer pic i run the chains with the u shaped bars on the chains they grab ahold and go

Indy, do you have any pics of the screws in the front tires? I heard that they really help with steering.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I've also heard that the short 1/4 headed sheet metal screw trick work well.... But I personally would only do this if I had a "winter/ice fishind/plowing dedicated quad" or a second set of winter dedicated tires/rims.

Here is a link to another member that has done the screw trick... Link: http://www.polarisatvforums.com/forums/atv-wheels-tires/10439-tire-chains-studs-screws.html

Also if towing a fish house it wouldn't be a bad idea to get a tow dolly to take the weight off of the rear suspension!

·
Premium Member
2,507 Posts
I have a 500 HO and like to ice fish. Will tire chains make a big differents. Or just a waste of time and money. Will they help in deeper snow? Are they hard on the wheeler? Any info would be great.
Tire chains will make HUGE difference - get the v-bar model and get the 2-link chains - expensive but will work well. Running all four with chains, on snow and ice will not harm your drive train. I had them on all four tires and only had an issue with 12" of snow, 6" of slush under that, thin crust of ice with another 4" of water to the ice. Bad situation. It drove me to purchase a track system.
I also have a set of Bighorns (that's my pic posted a couple posts back, I do believe) with ice screws (not sheet-metal screws) those are hardened ice screws. And they worked almost as well as the chains. I still use them till the snow gets deep. Been through 4 seasons and never lost a screw.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Chains and screws will be great for ICE, but will not help when the snow gets deep.
Does your lake get roads plowed on it?

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
chains do help in the snow, unless the snow is deeper then the tires, then you are hung up on the frame and just spin, i love the screws on the front but chains on the back are unbelievable traction, on my fish house i put the jack down and then i built a snowmobile ski to fit under jack so the weight of the fish house is on the ski and you just have to pull the fish house, but 9 out of 10 times i drive out with the pickup

·
Registered
169 Posts
I use chains all winter on mine as well, but just on the rear tires. I would like to try the screws in the fronts to help with not only traction, but steering.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thinking chains will be the way to go. Thanks for all the input. looking for more traction pulling a 600 pound ice shack on the the ice no plowed roads here just got 14 inches of snow in the last 24 hours thankfully no ice has formed yet. Stock tires and thinking a 50 dollar fix is better than 800 dollar set of tires. Not sure on the whole screw in tire thing. What size chains and best chains for the stock tires? Just the back? Or all 4 and if you know what size the fronts would be please post. Thanks Guys.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
just a little trick look at my chains and see the bungees in the middle only on the outside, keep them chaiins tight so no slipping or expanding and when i put them on i let some of the air out then put on chains then put air back in, main thing is to keep them tight

1 - 14 of 14 Posts