Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Sportsman 500 and just bought a set of artrax tires, bighorn knockoffs. I got them mounted yesterday and it was to late to put them on when i got home. But i did set the left side on the studs to see how they would look, it seems the inside of the front tire is awfully close to the shock, like it may rub. Now the quad is off the ground on a atv jack. I'm wondering if when i let the quad down off the jack the tires will have more space bc there is a load on the suspension. Does this make sense? You think I'll need spacers? If so do they need to go on the back as well even if those tires have clearance? Also the tires are the same size as stock on stock rims. If i have time today I'll get them bolted on and let it down of the jack, it's just racking my brain while I'm at work.

·
Premium Member
10,361 Posts
the tie-rods are going to be the clearance factor if there is one. what size are the tires?

·
Premium Member
10,361 Posts
they should definitely fit then even if the tires are over sized. post back when u get them mounted up.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
You should not have any problems with an 8" wide tire. Those are stock sizes.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lost cause I wish you were right. See the pics, the tie rod is definitely hitting the tire. Looks like I need spacers for the front. What should the distance be between the tire and tie rod end? I'd like to get away the the minimum as I'm not crazy about putting the bigger spacers on my quad. I would have never thought this would be a problem with stock tire size.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
are those pictures taken with the ATV on the ground? or is it still in the air?

The tire just needs to clear the tie rod. so the smallest spacer you can get would be fine. Even getting a 1/8" spacer made that fits over the studs would probably work just fine. Remember, the tires and the tie rod are going to move with each other so as the Tie rod moves out, the tire will do the same at the same amount. so once the tire clears the tie rod end you're good to go.

Also, as the suspension cycles up the tire will move away from the shock and as it cycles down it will move closer. So if it clears while the ATV is in the air you'll be fine on shock clearance.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thor the pics were taken with the quad on the ground. Would 2 small washers on each stud work if it gets me clearance or is that a no no? If not I'll Google some spacers.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Those look wider than 8". Anyway, I do not recommend washers. I would try to find a set of used spacers for cheap. You could try flipping the tie rod ends and see if that gives you the clearance you need.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They may be but they have 25 8 12 on them....the back ones look wider than 10" too

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
How many psi are they at? As you air them up, then will get skinnier.

·
Registered
319 Posts
you could also flip the front tie rod ends to get the clearance you need and not need the spacers.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Have to check the psi... They're at whatever the tire shop did. What's the better option? Spacers or flipping the tie rod ends?

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
flipping the tie rod ends. far less stress on the machine just flipping the Tie rod ends.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Im having the same exact problem. I bought tires not knowing they were going to rub. I was wondering how you flip the tie rod ends?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Buy different offset wheels!

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts