Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased 14 x 7 STI HD2 Rims for my 2013 Scrambler 850XP. After having STI Black Diamond 26's mounted on the rims it has become apparent that the tire height has changed.

New Fronts:
Rims - STI HD2 14 x 7 (6+1 offset)
Tire - STI Black Diamond XTR 26x9x14

New Rears:
Rims - STI HD2 14 x 7 (6+1 offset)
Tire - STI Black Diamond XTR 26x11x14

With the stock rims and tires, the rear tires measure at least 1/2 inch taller than the fronts.

With the aftermarket rims and tires, the front tires measure at least 1/2 taller than the rears.

Does this difference of 1/2" (or 1 inch in total height swap) matter? Will this cause problems with 4x4 and stress the gears/drivetrain?

I tried increasing the air pressure in the rears a bit to see if the extra air would inflate the tires height a bit more, but it doesn't make up much, if any difference. I know that the root cause is due to the rims being 7" and the rear tires being 11" and the side wall needing to wrap in further on the rears than the fronts.

Am I being over paranoid? Will it really matter as the only time that it would stress the gears would be when the rear tires are slipping and AWD / 4x4 is engaged..which would typically be in mud/snow where the tires could easily spin at different speeds compared to hard packed conditions that might cause stress.

Any advice, knowledge, or wisdom on the matter would be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Tire Height/Diameter Difference (Does front to back tire height matter and how

Fairly sure I read some where in here it's good to have them off set a bit

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
The 1/2" is not going to matter. The reason for the difference is the fact that you put the 11" wide tire on a 7" wheel. Not a big deal though. If you are that worried about it, getting a 8" or 9" wheel for the rear will solve this. Or getting 2 new tires at 9" wide rather than the 11's. I do know that the HD's that you have only come in a 7", so unless you switch to a different brand, getting a wider wheel for the rear is out of the question.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
All will be fine. With this offset, wheel type & tire size your fronts should also be sticking out about 1/2 to 3/4 of a inch more then the rears also (depending on spring settings). This is perfect for the ultimate handling on the ATV trail.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts