Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
09 sportsman 400 ho. Jacked it up and there is a lot of play in the tire vertically and horizontally. I know on my other quads (2wd) it's usually tie rod ends. What the heck is it on this 4wd quad?!?!

·
Premium Member
10,580 Posts
Bushings, bearings, ball-joints, and/or tie-rod ends.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok. I used a c clamp for the bearing on my raptor. Can I do the same with this quad? I haven't even taken tire off yet to see what I'm working with

·
11,261 Posts
You need to get your head up under it while wiggling to see what moves. It can be anything from bushings to ball joints to bearings to tie rods or a combination of all of the above. And NO, you won't change the bearings with a c clamp.

·
Premium Member
10,580 Posts
You need to get your head up under it while wiggling to see what moves. It can be anything from bushings to ball joints to bearings to tie rods or a combination of all of the above. And NO, you won't change the bearings with a c clamp.
Yup and get an assistant to hold the bars and give resistance so u can really get an eye on every little bit of play. How many miles on the bike? Hard or easy miles?

·
Registered
679 Posts
If you don;t have someone to hold the handle bars you can always use tie down or straps to hold each end of the handle bars while you are wiggling the tires.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We'll from my knowledge you can see the wheel bearing. And from my experience last night...I can't see shit!!!!!! Lol will taking off tire help at all. See on my Kfx you see tie rod ends visually

·
Premium Member
10,580 Posts
so to chk the a-arm bushings, ball joint, and wheel bearing with the wheel off the ground apply a push pull pressure at 6 and 12 o'clock. watch the bushings for movement then proceed to the ball joint for movement and finally look at the gap between the strut and hub for movement. to test the tie-rods hold the bars locked and apply push pull pressure to the wheel at 3 and 9 o'clock watch the outside tie-rod and then focus on the inner tie-rod end for movement. it is important to watch each component individually for the smallest amount of movement. if one or more of the sum of the parts has just a little play when compounded the system may have substantial play.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I made a wiggle bar...took some flat stock bar...drilled 2 holes to fit wheel studs..I bolt it on...then rotate to check bushings..TRE ....ball joints...I got the idea from work..we use one like it on trucks to check king pins and wheel bearings

·
Registered
505 Posts
We'll from my knowledge you can see the wheel bearing. And from my experience last night...I can't see shit!!!!!! Lol will taking off tire help at all. See on my Kfx you see tie rod ends visually
Yes take our tire off. Much easier to see whats going on. I just went through that last weekend. I have to change a bearing in the front. Thought the bearings were gone on the back also but when I removed the tirwe I realized it was the bushings in the upper control arm that had a little bit of play in them.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It is wheel bearings I'm pretty sure. I plowed today with it. System works great. Wheel bearings are in mail.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Let us know if your bearings make a difference. I had some play in one of my 500's and changed them out and made no difference. Everything else is snug. That was 1000 miles ago and it seems to be fine.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Let us know if your bearings make a difference. I had some play in one of my 500's and changed them out and made no difference. Everything else is snug. That was 1000 miles ago and it seems to be fine.
Hopefully mine got delivered today. If so it'll be my project for tomorrow. kn mine its the left side that has tons of play.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I changed out the wheel bearing went a lot better than I thought. I greased all around the outside of the bearing and tapped it in with a rubber mallet. Then used a c-clamp to seat it. Took 99% of the play out of it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts