Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I will be that guy.

Planning a trip up to do the Hatfield McCoy trails for a few days in early April. Chances are, its gonna be wet and muddy!

The stock tires are ok, but I would like a little better traction in the slick stuff. I am not doing deep mudding up to the handle bar. I am not wanting to lift the quad, replace rims, etc... I don't want to make it so that I lose power, or need a new clutch.

I want to stick with the stock rims, and the stock tire size. Radial or tube, doesn't matter as much, I just want a tire that is comparable in weight and size to stock, but that gives a bit more traction in mud. Not just for me, but if I have to tow one of the sport quads out of the mud, I want the added traction.

So to recap:

1) Stock size using stock rims
2) Comparable weight to stock
3) No power loss and no clutch mod required
4) Don't care if it is radial or bias ply so long as the above 3 criteria are met.

Oh, and the cheaper the better, of course!

So what am I looking at? What's my best bet?

·
Registered
815 Posts
I put 26" ripsaws on my 570. Incredible tire so far. they are available in 12" too. No noticeable loss in power.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Guys swear by BigHorns, and i know i looked at a set of 26' for 14' wheels for less than $500 shipped from RockymountainATVMC.com

also have heard good things with the Ripsaws

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guys swear by BigHorns, and i know i looked at a set of 26' for 14' wheels for less than $500 shipped from RockymountainATVMC.com

also have heard good things with the Ripsaws
I hear good things about both, but how are they on weight and affect on the clutch? I don't want to buy tires and then have to start buying other things to avoid losing power, etc... You know?

I wonder what the weight of the stock tires and tubes are, so that I could compare and find something close?

·
Premium Member
10,369 Posts
what trails systems are u hitting? and what kind of riding do u do locally when ur not traveling? if u want to keep it lite maxxis zillas or maxxis big horn 2.0's. they are both trail tires with different PH'Ds, zilla in mud and bigs ruts and rocks.

·
Registered
615 Posts
You have the advantage of a plethora of options for stock size. The disadvantage of that is there are so many opinions on which tire to go with that you could spend 3 solid weeks researching and not come to sound conclusion! I would heavily consider the STI Black Diamonds or a BH knockoff, such as the Duro Powergrips or the Artrax CTX.

We're planning a trip to go out there in July and I plan on ditching the stock 489s in favor of the Black Diamond ATRs before we go. I found them for $305 shipped for stock size (had to go to 23x8-10 front) on an 07 Scrammy.

Good luck with the decision. It probably wont come with an easy button!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm in the same boat, for when I decide to buy tires for my x2... I think I've narrowed it down to zillas or silverback x-lite's.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I would go with ITP Mud lites they are not too heavy and they are good for slick stuff just not great for the deep up to your handle bar mud

·
Registered
134 Posts
Well whatever you decide post a pic of them on your 570.

·
Registered
554 Posts
If you're not interested going larger, why replace the stock tires at all? My one trip to HMT, I found the trails to be mostly rocky. There was a little mud and some puddles, but nothing excessive by any means. Nothing that the stock tires couldn't handle. If you're not planning on mud bogging I would think the stock tires are a good all around choice.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I love the Grim Reaper tires I'm running. Stock height.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, I think I have my tire choice narrowed down... last question is, can I install Radials to my stock rims, or do I need new wheels as well?

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
you'll be fine on the stock wheels

·
Registered
223 Posts
Squire, I just put a set of black diamond XTR'S on my 550. Going to take them down to the river today and there's a lot of slick goopy stuff down there. I'll let you know how they handle. They look like a great tire. I got mine in 27" since they seem to run small. They are heavier than the stock tire but that's due to them being thicker and stronger. Ran them down the street and didn't seem to affect power at all.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Squire, I just put a set of black diamond XTR'S on my 550. Going to take them down to the river today and there's a lot of slick goopy stuff down there. I'll let you know how they handle. They look like a great tire. I got mine in 27" since they seem to run small. They are heavier than the stock tire but that's due to them being thicker and stronger. Ran them down the street and didn't seem to affect power at all.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Cool, let me know how they compare to stock on the trail.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Who cares about weight. When installing new tires/wheels do it RIGHT and install the proper clutch kit.

The 570 has more than enough power to turn 30's, with the right clutching you won't even notice a difference in power with 26's or 27's

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Who cares about weight. When installing new tires/wheels do it RIGHT and install the proper clutch kit.

The 570 has more than enough power to turn 30's, with the right clutching you won't even notice a difference in power with 26's or 27's
The point is, I have other hobbies to fund in addition to my quad. I want radial tires with a bit more bite, but I don't want that to turn into... now I need wheels... now i need a clutch... now the thing is too top heavy from "lifting" it with massive tires... Now I need stronger axles because the larger heavier wheels snapped the weak stock ones...

I like the quad the way it is, I just want a bit more bite in the mucky stuff, and I want a tire that I can plug and repair on the trail if needed.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Yes, I will be that guy.

Planning a trip up to do the Hatfield McCoy trails for a few days in early April. Chances are, its gonna be wet and muddy!

The stock tires are ok, but I would like a little better traction in the slick stuff. I am not doing deep mudding up to the handle bar. I am not wanting to lift the quad, replace rims, etc... I don't want to make it so that I lose power, or need a new clutch.

I want to stick with the stock rims, and the stock tire size. Radial or tube, doesn't matter as much, I just want a tire that is comparable in weight and size to stock, but that gives a bit more traction in mud. Not just for me, but if I have to tow one of the sport quads out of the mud, I want the added traction.

So to recap:

4) Don't care if it is radial or bias ply so long as the above 3 criteria are met.

LIAR!!!

The stock tires as I have said before are slicker than a strippers cleavage. They don't do well when off the asphalt or the showroom floor.

If I were you I would get 27" Black Diamond XTR's. They will work fine with stock clutch but a QSC will really lite them up. They will give you a bit more clearance, they are Radial so they run straight and they have great traction on all surfaces. I got a set for one of my 500's and had two sets in my garage before I even owned my XP's.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes, I will be that guy.

So to recap:

LIAR!!!

The stock tires as I have said before are slicker than a strippers cleavage. They don't do well when off the asphalt or the showroom floor.

If I were you I would get 27" Black Diamond XTR's. They will work fine with stock clutch but a QSC will really lite them up. They will give you a bit more clearance, they are Radial so they run straight and they have great traction on all surfaces. I got a set for one of my 500's and had two sets in my garage before I even owned my XP's.
In that size, they appear to be about 10lbs heavier per tire. Do I really want to add 40lbs of weight to the quad, all in the tires? How can that not affect the clutch, performance or the durability of the axles?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts