Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like the stock Maxxis M9806s on my 2013 X2 550. I live in southeastern VA and mainly ride at Slades Park in Surry and Busco Beach in Goldsboro, NC. It's a lot of tan/red dirt that can turn into some pretty nasty mud when it gets wet. These tires are great on the dirt. I really like how easily and safely I can slide the back end out on this atv. When it comes to the mud though, these tires don't quite cut it, so I'm looking for some new tires to put on my stock wheels.

I'm not looking for anything super aggressive. I don't want to lose that smooth ride and ability to drift around. I just want something that'll give me some more confidence in the mud. I'm looking for a 26" or smaller diameter 27" that's pretty cheap, around or below $120. Having the heavy X2 with the 550, I want something similar in weight to the stock tires too.

I've been doing a lot of research on here & elsewhere on the internet & here's some of the tires I'm looking at:

Duro Power Grip
STI Black Diamond XTR
Maxxis Bighorn (Originals)
Interco Reptile

I haven't really found much about how much these tires' weights though. What tires do you recommend? Are there any other tires that I would be good for me?

I've also read that I'll need to modify the rear foot rest to fit most 26x11 tires. I haven't looked too much into that, but it sounds pretty easy.

·
Registered
154 Posts
i installed the Duro Power grips on my X2/ in stock sizes (they do run shorter than the size says/ excellent grip in snow/ excellent on rocky technical stuff and pretty descent in mudd. I will be buying them again/ and my neighbor waited until I've gotten some miles on them to finally decide that he will be buying them also. Rich

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
My vote would be the big horns or black diamonds out of your choices.

·
Super Moderator
7,150 Posts
If you want to stay in the 26" range, I would avoid the Black Diamonds like the plague on a 14" wheel. The Bighorns would be my first choice of those. You might also consider Kenda Bearclaw tires. I don't have any experience with the HTR's, but the old bias ply Bearclaw tires worked great on my 800 X2.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RichH, Rocky Mountain ATV states that the Power Grips are only a 4 ply. Have you found any issues with that, considering how heavy the X2 is?

Bobx2, are the Black Diamonds actually a lot bigger than the26" stock tires ? I don't mind if they are little bigger. I just don't want to kill the bottom end. That's all this 550 has going for it lol

·
Super Moderator
7,150 Posts
Actually the BD's are shorter than the stated 26". The sidewalls are extremely stiff which makes the ride horrible unless you run them at very low air pressures. (2-3 psi) That is why I don't recommend them for a 14" wheel. Maybe okay if you had 12", where you would have more sidewall to work with.

·
Registered
154 Posts
that is true the 14" are 4 ply/ 12" are 6 ply/ so far I've been through alot of rides with sharp shale type rocks and alot of cut off small tree stubs sticking out of the ground along the trails and have hauled lots of heaping loads of firewood in rounds. have not seen any issues with the side walls and the tread seems to be wearing at a slow pace. Rich

·
Registered
154 Posts
Nice lookin machine, I like the white

·
Registered
154 Posts
my main reason for going with the Duro Power grips was / the BH's don't come in the stock sizes, and on the forum I've seen alot of guys say the 11" rear doesn't fit well and may hit a bracket. So I wasn't going to chance it. Rich

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
my main reason for going with the Duro Power grips was / the BH's don't come in the stock sizes, and on the forum I've seen alot of guys say the 11" rear doesn't fit well and may hit a bracket. So I wasn't going to chance it. Rich
That's my reasoning for looking at the Power Grips. They are one of the few tires that come in stock sizes & are cheap. If they are just as good as BHs, cheaper & fit then I might as well get them instead of BHs.

Also, I looked at those Kendas. They look pretty good but right at my limit of what I'm willing to pay.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Actually the BD's are shorter than the stated 26". The sidewalls are extremely stiff which makes the ride horrible unless you run them at very low air pressures. (2-3 psi) That is why I don't recommend them for a 14" wheel. Maybe okay if you had 12", where you would have more sidewall to work with.
Yeah, if they are anything like the Mudlites that are on the back of my YFZ then I don't want them. I rode it over to my garage to check pressure one time & my gauge read 0.5 psi but it looked fine. They're so rough I don't even like riding it anymore.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'm not sure if the power grips will "wear like iron" like alot of guys say the BH's do/ but so far I'm just seeing wear on the leading edge of the lugs and I have ridden some pretty rocky and aggressive trails since getting them. Rich

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks. I'm not too worried about wear. I bought my X2 in May & have only put about 150 miles on it. That is something to consider though when it comes to quality of the tire.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How many miles are on your power grips? That sounds like the same amount of wear on my Maxxis tires.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have approx. 550-600 miles on the power grips so far.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You may also want to look at the STI Rocktane tires. They have a similar tread pattern and are an 8 ply rated radial.

Here is a link to our sale pricing on them:

STI Tires Roctane XD tires listed by size
Those look awesome & the price isn't bad. I saw a thread about them right after I posted this thread. I just don't know how much better they are in mud since they are meant for rock crawling. Probably no worse than Bighorns though.

Man, I wish there was a Discount Tire around here. I have yet to find a tire store around here that was as knowledgeable & cheap as the Discount Tire I went to when I lived in Concord, NC.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I think Thor did a review on the STI tires. I know he runs them on his and says they are a great tire. I personally don't have any experience unless you want silverbacks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think Thor did a review on the STI tires. I know he runs them on his and says they are a great tire. I personally don't have any experience unless you want silverbacks.
Yeah I've been trying to find that review but haven't had any luck. BTW silverbacks are awesome. If I was wanting mud tires I would definitely get those.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts