Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Can anyone offer recommendations regarding tire repair kits when on the trail? My thoughts were:

1. Slime 12 volt air compressor
2. Plug kit - but which brand?
3. Fix a flat or slime at time of flat?

I was looking at the "Flat Pack" which has a hand pump and repair kit all in one in a cylinder tube (and is a pump).

Heck I am old and hate to pump away so I am thinking of the 12V.

In addition, ignore my ignorance but how can you locate a small hole when on the trail and tires are dirty and such?

I appreciate the responses!

A

·
Registered
221 Posts
Well I'm not sure what to tell you to pack but as far as locating holes, if you've been on wet trails sometimes you can spot the water bubbling around the hole. If you have the compressor just fill it up some and listen and feel for it.

I have a bottle of Slime I carry around. Luckily haven't had to use it yet but as a word of caution when you take the tire in to get fixed be sure to tell the repairman that it has Slime in it because once he pops that bead he could get a face full of that stuff and could injure him.

Oh and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
slime in the face......

Slime in the face - not good. Thanks for the heads up.

I think I will go ahead and get a 12v compressor (looking at the Slime one), tire repair kit and the "Slime."

I appreciate the feedback!

A

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
I use one of the C02 inflaters they seem to work well! Look in bicycle shops on line for them!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
co2

Thanks for the replies guys as I appreciate the input.

I heard that you should not just have a few CO'2's because it may take a couple to locate the hole (i.e. use your supply).. So that's why some others recommend a small 12V portable compressor in addition to repair kit.

Is this an overkill on my part? Maybe I'm just cautious at my old age and hate to have the wife on her atv go get assistance!

How many of you experienced a flat on basically a trail ride and how prepared were you?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
563 Posts
A flat repair kit is a top priority if you ride very far IMO.I have had and seen many flats and the first time you have one,you will be kicking yourself if you dont have a flat repair kit.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
kick in the head....

:nutkick:

I couldn't see two 52 year old's out there with a flat. I guess I would have to leave the wife for a few hours all alone when I get the tire repaired....(<:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts