Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I've looked around but nothing exact to what I need to know? 1999 400 Xplorer

It's getting too hard to find aggressive mud tires in 10"....so I want to make all 12".....ITP makes the correct rim and cheap enough.

Since the AWD is 20% under-driven with a 12" rim in front and a 10" rear in back, if I change the rear to 12", how tall should those tires be from front to back?..........26" front and 25" back?, or similar?

If anyone has done this and can offer advice?......thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 99 Xplorer as well. It has the same height tires on the front and rear from the factory. Only the wheel in the center is a different size. Run the same Height tire on the front and rear.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Guys,

I've looked around but nothing exact to what I need to know? 1999 400 Xplorer

It's getting too hard to find aggressive mud tires in 10"....so I want to make all 12".....ITP makes the correct rim and cheap enough.

Since the AWD is 20% under-driven with a 12" rim in front and a 10" rear in back, if I change the rear to 12", how tall should those tires be from front to back?..........26" front and 25" back?, or similar?

If anyone has done this and can offer advice?......thanks.
Which rims were you looking at? I know they are ITP but do you know the offset? I need to replace my son's tires shortly and would prefer 12' all the way around for the same reason. And yes as mentioned above as long as the tire heights are the same front and back, the rim size does not matter.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
I have a 99 Xplorer as well. It has the same height tires on the front and rear from the factory. Only the wheel in the center is a different size. Run the same Height tire on the front and rear.
This ^ Outside tire diameter is what you need to maintain, all 4 tires same OD.
Also AMS swamp fox's come in 10in rim sizes, but I wouldn't call them aggressive.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fun2Bhad.............rims were ITP Black Delta Steel

Only issue I see after thinking about this, is the width on rear......my orig. are 8.5" wide x 10" tall........these are 7" wide x 12" tall.

So I assume that running a 12" wide tire is more difficult.....maybe an 11" wide instead?

Has anyone run this rim, and if so, what width tire?

Thanks

·
Registered
615 Posts
When you say you need an aggressive mud tire, what tire(s) are you considering going to a 12" in the rear to run?

Have you looked into the Maxxis Zilla or ITP Swamp Lite? Both are moderately aggressive mud tires and are offered in 25x11-10 and the accompanying 25x8-12 for the front.

Also, Kenda has the original Bear Claw in a 25x12.5-10 that you should have no problem using on the stock rear rim, and again you can get the matching front in factory size.

Maybe someone can chime in on the Sedona Mud Rebels. There are packages of 4 tires (2 each 25x8-12 and 2 each 25x11-10) on eBay for around $300 shipped.

·
Registered
41 Posts
In order to change just about any Polaris solid axle to a 12 inch rim go but 03 500predator rear hubs they are 4x156 bolt pattern (just like sportsman's) and use the same splines as the old hubs, doing it to my Xpedition soon, anyone has any questions give me a shout, did it to my buddy's 325 trailboss, 300 xplorer and 250 trailblazer,

Just keep the same size tire all around (or equivalent difference for scramblers)
Example:
425 Xpedition:
25x8x12 fronts
25x10x12 rears, (25x11x10 factory)

DO NOT USE A DIFFERENT SIZE TIRE on front/rear, it will bind up the 4wd & could cause gearcase,hilliard clutch/axle damage witch could cause injury's..

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
In order to change just about any Polaris solid axle to a 12 inch rim go but 03 500predator rear hubs they are 4x156 bolt pattern (just like sportsman's) and use the same splines as the old hubs, doing it to my Xpedition soon, anyone has any questions give me a shout, did it to my buddy's 325 trailboss, 300 xplorer and 250 trailblazer,

Just keep the same size tire all around (or equivalent difference for scramblers)
Example:
425 Xpedition:
25x8x12 fronts

DO NOT USE A DIFFERENT SIZE TIRE on front/rear, it will bind up the 4wd & could cause gearcase,hilliard clutch/axle damage witch could cause injury's..
That's great information.... posting to "keep this in my back pocket" / tie myself to the thread for easy finding later!! :fing02:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well this is what I figured out. The 2003 predator hubs seem to work on the xplorer. How ever if you are planning on switching to standard polaris wheels the offset is different and will narrow the width by 4 inches. So you will need 2 inch spacers. With the price of the hubs and spacers it was just a little more to buy 2 inch thick adapters. They were 190 for a pair of 4x4' to 4x156 mm 2' thick.
I bought some Ranger take offs pretty cheap but by the time I would purchase the hubs and adapters it was just a few dollars more to get the correct adapters.

I saved about 200 on this set up for almost new tires and wheels.

I might have to clearance the front fenders a bit or looking to at a 2 inch lift. The Tires are Outlaws with ITP wheels. Waiting on adapters now will post pics when I put it all to gather. I will add the company I got them from in a bit. The company is ezaccessory.com

·
Premium Member
3,846 Posts

Example:
425 Xpedition:
25x8x12 fronts

I want to do this swap on my 01 Magnum. Is there any issue with the rear brake? On the Magnum, the rear brake is at the left end of the rear axle since it is shaft drive.

·
Registered
7 Posts
will the older 1996 sportsman rear hubs fit the 300 xplorer and the 400 xplorer. plus to change up the 400 xplorer you would need the same ratio on the back as what you would have on the front otherwise you would be jamming up the front. the chane gear off of the 300 would make the two ratios work so you could use the 12" rims on the back

1 - 16 of 16 Posts