Votes: 51 76.1%
  • Nay

Votes: 16 23.9%
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's been touched on here but lets take a poll. Yea or Nay for the Slime and maybe a good argument for your choice.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I use it in all my mowers for my landscape business. I've put it in the tires of all my ATV's in the past and it's worked great. I just got my 850 XP and haven't slimed those tires yet but I will. I just got a slow leak on one of my rear tires and I'm sure that some tire slime will put a stop to it. The key to tire slime working is the tire needs to roll for it to work. If you have a hole in your tire and the slime hasn't plugged it up and you park your ATV the tire will still go flat. The reason is the slime will all sit on the "bottom" of the tire when parked. Unless the hole happens to be on the "bottom" as well when you park your ATV the tire will go flat.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I mow yards and have used it in the mower tires for years. A few of the yards have lots of thorn bushes on the fence lines and the slime keeps my tires inflated. Also my father in laws sportsman had a back tire that had a slow leak so it was flat when he wanted to ride it. Put some slime in it and it stayed up that was 3 years ago. I put it in mine but havent had any punctures yet to test it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Tire slime only works well in motor vehicals if they go under 15 miles and hour. put some in my last quad and at 70 it threw me right of the **** thing from the vibration. Bad for high speed apps.

·
Registered
42 Posts
they make it for higher speed too its the one for automotive

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good advice guys! Keep it coming. I guess there is a practical application too. Maybe not so good for quads/moto but good for us slow trail/mud guys? Don't get me wrong, I hit full throttle often, but rarely stay there.

·
Premium Member
3,843 Posts
I have used slime in all my ATV tires for years. Works great! Once my son had a 250ex and ran into a bunch of very thick and sharp thorns. Both fronts at at least 5 holes each. Saw the green stuff seep out after we pulled them out & the tires held air for over a year til they ran out of thread. Slime is a must in my book while on the trail.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
My only advice is if you have slimed your tires and are having a shop change tires for you, give them a heads up. It's a pretty nasty surprises that won't make them happy if they aren't expecting it

·
Premium Member
2,549 Posts
Yea, only if it's NOT going to be you changing the tires!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Tire slime only works well in motor vehicals if they go under 15 miles and hour. put some in my last quad and at 70 it threw me right of the **** thing from the vibration. Bad for high speed apps.
Wow! maybe you put waaaaay too much slime in your tire. I've never even noticed any difference with slime in my ATV tires. It's not because I ride slow. My Outlaw 525 had slime in the tires and I never experienced any vibrations or shaking. That quad was defineately faster than my 850 XP. I haven't put slime in the XP yet, but I'm sure it won't be any different than my Scrambler 400, Sportsman 500, or 525 Outlaw was.

·
Premium Member
3,843 Posts
Good point about the amount to use. I only put about 60% of the recommended amount on the bottle. Still works fine. Also I have found the cheapest place to get it is at Walmart. About 20 bucks for a gallon bottle.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Good advice guys! Keep it coming. I guess there is a practical application too. Maybe not so good for quads/moto but good for us slow trail/mud guys? Don't get me wrong, I hit full throttle often, but rarely stay there.
I was turned on to the CNH tire sealant from the dealer as they're
a New Holland dealer for farm equipment.

It's a little more expensive, but I figured if it's good enough for farm
machinery tires, it should be good enough for atv tires.

I would also agree with the poster that mentioned depending on where
the leak is regarding a bead leak. I put this in a scrambler rear tire and
depending on what position it's park, the tire will sometimes hold air or
not.

CNH Premium Tire Sealant: 1 Gallon Container (shown with optional Pump - not included) (MC4001)

PS. In regards to Slime at Walmart, Slime makes sealant for tubeless &
tube tires. I accidentally bought a gallon for "Tube" tires at Walmart and
had to take it back.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
My only advice is if you have slimed your tires and are having a shop change tires for you, give them a heads up. It's a pretty nasty surprises that won't make them happy if they aren't expecting it
MOST EXCELLENT ADVICE!!! I will add be prepared to be turned away or at the very least charged extra.

Tire slime only works well in motor vehicles if they go under 15 miles and hour. put some in my last quad and at 70 it threw me right of the **** thing from the vibration. Bad for high speed apps.
This is only an issue if you don't read the instructions... You need to install the proper amount of slime and GO DRIVE or in our case RIDE right after!
This is to distribute the "stuff" all around inside the tire. If you squirt the stuff in and go in the back yard and drink a six pack it will be a heavy blob all in one spot inside your tire. In high temps and allowing the machine to sit for extended periods of time will do some of the same. But I'm talking weeks sitting, not overnite.

Yea, only if it's NOT going to be you changing the tires!
Roger that Phil!!

I have been using SLIME in my Jeep tires for some years. I like the stuff. It works as its advertised. Its single down fall is you kinda run outta tire shops so you gotta learn how to change tires your self!! LOL

CW

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tire Slime it is!! Thanks for the info/input guys. I think I'll take CWs advice and do it right before my next ride, and Thors advice about getting it at Wally World. I'm pretty fortunate I have tire changing machines available to me so I could change my own if the need arises (hopefully not!)

·
Registered
46 Posts
slime

Wouldn't leave home without it! I use a Qt in each tire never had a problem. I also carry a tire plug kit and a small bike pump for the really big holes. I've saved a hole days riding for others.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I finally bought in installed the tire slime. Pretty simple process. I went with the recommendation and after the math ended up putting about 27oz in the fronts and 37oz in the backs.

The original reason I wanted the stuff was that I had a leak in my front left. Well after installing the slime and riding around for a few minutes, it didn't stop! I actually had to take off the tire and shake/maneuver it to coat everything inside I guess. Well it finally stopped although I'm still not sure where it was leaking.

Guess the stuff works afterall :)

·
Registered
385 Posts
I have used the HighLifter slime type product, a little more expensive but it seems to work better and doesn't need to be replaced every 2 years like slime.

·
Registered
97 Posts
its excellent stuff!! i put it in my rear tires on my 1970 turf track and have not added air to them in 3 years. (fronts have tubes).

i will be sliming all my ATV tires soon! i have a lift, so after filling the tires i can spin them easy enough! there is still too much snow here for me to go out riding yet,

·
Registered
73 Posts
I use it in my mowers, 2wheel hand trucks, ATV's and use a lot of it in my Bobcat Skid Steers (20 or 30 ozs per tire LOL) I love the stuff buy it by the gallon

1 - 20 of 25 Posts