Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new 550 XP LE in stealth black and would like to upgrade wheels and tires. Any advice?? Live in MN so will be riding in snow but other than that mostly trail riding. Maxxis bighorns look good..any thoughts? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Bighorns are durable & ride smooth. There are a ton of choices so good luck. Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
346 Posts
You will get 20 different answers to this question. There's a reason there are So many bigHorn clones....but there's only one. Guess what I would choose of I were doing it again????

·
Registered
275 Posts
Now badjohn we all know you love the BD's :wall: :D

OP..Never ran them myself but have heard nothing but good about the bighorns originals. Not so good about the bighorns2. Enjoying my Pitbull Growlers,not able to say how they do in the snow.They have yet to let me down so far.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Now badjohn we all know you love the BD's :wall: :D

OP..Never ran them myself but have heard nothing but good about the bighorns originals. Not so good about the bighorns2. Enjoying my Pitbull Growlers,not able to say how they do in the snow.They have yet to let me down so far.
Funny guy...:biglaugh:

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I've heard good things about the Bighorn Origonals as well, friend of mine swears by them. Myself, i will be looking for a good 8 ply radial in the spring, I ride a bit more rocky terrain.

Seems you can find the BigHorns fairly cheap on Ebay

Also, i wouldnt change the wheels unless you get 6+1 offset ones. I know hte trail width limit around here is 50" and any 4+3 wheel will put you out past that.

·
Super Moderator
7,182 Posts
You really can't beat the Bighorn originals. That is by far the most popular tire on the trails out here, and it doesn't get much rockier than the rocky mountains when it comes to trail riding. Don't let the 6 ply rating fool you. They are one tough tire. I've ruined two 8 ply Pitbull Rockers, but never had a flat of any kind when running BH's. When it's time for tires again, that will probably be my choice again. They work great in any conditions and will out wear any other tire by a large margin.
John, I heard you were shopping for another set of Black Diamonds...:saevilw:

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
If Big Horns are like my Grippers, than they tend to dig really bad, in the loose stuff. So I imagine in winter they will dig even faster.

·
Registered
721 Posts
We've had a good experience with Grim Reapers. About 500 hard miles on them at Hatfield McCoy with hardly any sign of wear.

·
Super Moderator
7,182 Posts
I have heard that BH are not good in deep snow.
If Big Horns are like my Grippers, than they tend to dig really bad, in the loose stuff. So I imagine in winter they will dig even faster.
Deep snow is what tracks were made for. Seriously though, I've had great luck in the snow and loose stuff with BH's. It's about throttle control most of the time, but there are times when it's about holding it wide open and keeping up the wheel speed and momentum. Bighorns will almost act like a paddle tire in sand and when trying to stay on top of deep snow. That has been my experience with them, for whatever that's worth.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Like someone said you will get a lot of input on tires and rims. I don't do any real crazy mudding abuse on my machine and the Bighorns will get you past the normal trail muddy situations no problem. They are a excellent tire , I also run Sedona Ripsaw R/T's which are also excellent and have a stronger side wall.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts