Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Polaris sportsman 400 and I was wanting to get new wheels and tires how big can I go without having to modify my quad?

Right now I have stock
25 x 8 x 12 front
25 x 11 x 10 rear

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:cowboy:

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Welcome!!

I have no personal experience with this model. But I have read a number of times that these machines are not so great on power. So to my mind your bigger concern should be available power more then size to fit. BUT, I would say you could likely fit most manufacturers 27" tires. But a clutch kit would be mandatory!

I had a similar issue when I put tires on my wife's trail boss. With 13 HP I didn't want to sap any of that awesome power, (insert sarcasm) so as much as I would have liked more ground clearance I stayed with the stock size and just went more aggressive with the tread.

Personally I would say stay stock or go 26 if you must have bigger.

CW

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Welcome!

Without doing any mods you should be fine with 26" tires depending on the weight of the tire.

What tire did you have in mind?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wheels and tires

I was hoping to get new 12 inch rims and at the very least go to a 26 or a 27 inch tire, mud lites probably. Just don't know what width I can go with.

Also had a line on some razor stocks that are maxxis big horns
27x9x12
27-12-12

Wondering if they would work?

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I was hoping to get new 12 inch rims and at the very least go to a 26 or a 27 inch tire, mud lites probably. Just don't know what width I can go with.

Also had a line on some razor stocks that are maxxis big horns
27x9x12
27-12-12

Wondering if they would work?
First, you have two different lug patterns on this bike(4x156 front, 4x4 rear). This means you will have to find a set of wheels that match with those lug patterns.

I wouldn't go above 26x9x12 on the front an 26x11x12 on the rear, if you don't plan on installing at least a clutch kit.

If it's just the razor tires, then they should fit if you use either spacers or aftermarket wheels. The razor wheels will not fit on the rear due to a different lug pattern(4x156)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you Racer!

I definitely have a better understanding of what I got now. So if I bump that back wheel up to a 12 inch and remain within the tire sizes you have mention I should be OK?

I won't be compromising too much power?

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Thank you Racer!

I definitely have a better understanding of what I got now. So if I bump that back wheel up to a 12 inch and remain within the tire sizes you have mention I should be OK?

I won't be compromising too much power?
You will be just fine!!

Good luck!!

We need pics when it's finished!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Absolutely will do!

Quick question: I just measured my bolt patterns and they seem to be exact front and back. Could that be right?

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Absolutely will do!

Quick question: I just measured my bolt patterns and they seem to be exact front and back. Could that be right?
What do they measure?

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
4 inches from bolt to bolt
Ok, the only way that would be right is if someone put adapters on the front. Take a look to see if there are adapters behind the front wheel with it installed. It will probably be about 1" thick between the wheel and hub.

4x156 pattern should measure 6.14 inches.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts