Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about buying new tires for my 2010 850 touring. I've got a couple of questions. Will the stock clutch set up on the 850 handle 27's? Plus, I've read in other posts that the 09's need wheel spacers on the back, but the 2010 models don't. Is that right? I'd rather not add wheel spacers if I don't have to.

I ride mostly trails, and hard pack, I'm not a mudd guy. Here's the tires i'm considering.

Bighorn 2.0
GBC Dirt Commanders
Moto MTC
ITP Terracross
ITP XTR

The only bad part about the Bighorns and Moto MTc's is that they only come in 26's. I want the 27's to give my touring some extra ground clearance due to the extra length in the wheel base.

Give me some help guys!

·
Registered
650 Posts
The 850 has no problem with the 27" XTR's. I did have to use 1" spacer's in the rear on my 09 to clear the swaybar using the stock 14" wheels. My riding area is swampy and muddy so these tires are great. Good on grass and hard dirt whenever it quit's raining down here. A little heavy and pricey are a couple of drawback's to these tires.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have bighorns on my ranger and simply love them. i'm probably leaning to the bighorns, dirt commanders and xtr's. i looked at the bighorn specs and the 26's are 26.4 tall. and no more mud than i go through, the bighorns do fine. i wish i knew someone who had used the dirt commanders, their 8 ply and look pretty awesome.

·
Registered
563 Posts
The Dirt Commanders are lighter than the Bighorns also, so they are a little easier on the clutching and GBC have 27x11x14 rear tires instead of 12" wide for the Bighorns.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
just for your info if your gonna get new rims with your tires most aftermarket rims have more offset so you wouldnt need spacers, thats if your getting new rims.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i wasn't planning on getting new rims. the stock rims aren't bad. since the dirt commanders are lighter, how do you think they stack up in toughness to the bighorns? i have over 1200 miles on my rangers bighorns and they show little if any wear. they've been decent in mud and great on the trail. the dirt commanders are just cool looking. cool is good but if they don't wear that great who cares.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I have heard good things about bighorns . there a good all around tire. I havent seen much chatter as for as the dirt commanders go how many plies they have is a indiction on how punture resisted there gona be. Im sure somebody on here has had them and will tell you how they wear. I myself have itp xtr,s love them there pricey but i got 900 miles and there barely showing wear, there awsome all round for traction also.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i looked up the itp xtr's weight and they are heaviest out of all the one's i've looked at. i thought the xtr's were geared more to the side by sides. but my 850 touring is not far away weight wise from a rzr or something like that. they do look really cool!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Yea there not excactly the lightest tire on the market. I think there one of the heaviest ones. I didnt notice any difference in my 850 performance after putting them on

·
Registered
667 Posts
i read one story on the GBC D/C. jacobs atv mag online said they are a tough sob but there are also a very stiff ride sob. i have read that the interco reptile radial is a good all terrain tire and has a smooth ride, they come in 27". the new pitbull tires everyone says great things about them, there 27.5 is not out yet.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
that makes sense about the gbc dirt commanders riding so rough since they are an 8 ply tire. heck, that's what i have on my truck. i've never heard of pit bull tires, i'll have to check them out. how do you like jacobs atv mag? i've thought of subscribing, is it worth it?

·
Registered
667 Posts
i think jacobs atv does real world testing that you can believe in. i do not think myself that a atv needs a 8ply tire. to heavy and to stiff a ride. maybe a guy who rides nothing but rocks all day.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i agree with you. my ranger has 6 ply tires and i think 6 ply is plenty for me. i guess i'm going to have to decide between the big horns and the itx xtr's then.

·
Registered
667 Posts
i had the 26" XTR on my 800 outy and i like the tire but i did have one that was way out of round,this is common to here of this on forums. ITP did warranty the tire for me.still have it.ITP did not want it back.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i put my touring on my trailer sideways last night and it barely fit with the side rails on the trailer. i may not want to go with a 27 because that will give me some extra length.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Greg has been real pleased with the pit bulls so far. He was a die hard Bighorn fan like myself up untill he got some pit bulls a few months ago. I think he would be the first to tell ya though, he has not had time to put the many thousands of miles and years of testing in on the Pittbulls like he has the Bighorns though.

Myself, I still like the way the bighorns ride, handle, wear, and look. So I am not planning to jump ship to the pitt bulls any time soon. For almost a decade now the first mod I do to every machine I own, is put on a set of bighorns. I use the original BigHorn 1's .

1 - 19 of 19 Posts