Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at tires for my 2013 400 HO. I'm looking for something that works well on the road, rides good on the trail, and can still go in the mud, suggestions? also looking for little to no power loss

·
Registered
993 Posts
I've found that the maxxis bighorns perform great and last forever. I have 3200 miles on my canam 800 and they still have half tread

·
Registered
619 Posts
I got the Bighorn 2.0's, in stock size 25". They're 6-Ply, they're lighter than most, the tread is beefy, they ride perfectly smooth on the road even at 55mph. I can't really vouch for their mud performance yet. They're probably not the BEST because the lugs aren't an inch tall but I don't doubt they'll perform well as I've noticed an improvement in traction in pretty much every other terrain, including snow.

I didn't want to lose any power on my 400 either, so I went with the 2.0's instead of the original, and stayed with 25". I didn't notice any power loss. I have a lot more piece of mind now with these tires.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I put 1" over stock Swamplites (6ply) on my 450, couldn't be happier. Been on the bike for about 3 seasons now, never stuck or flat. No loss of power either. Bought mine mounted on ITP steelies from Ronniesmailorder.com, $425 (no tax and free shipping) delivered to my door.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I'd say you just describbed what I too would like to find.... I've been thinking about and looking at the Maxxis Bighorn's (or similar brand/style) tires or a Terracross styled tire like the ITP Terracross or Sedona Rip Saw tires.

Keep us posted as to what you find and buy.... and how you like them!!

Just an FYI after some of the above suggestions.... But, with your statement of "Rides Good on the Trail"...... does not put "Mud Tire" near the top of the list. The ITP Mud Lites I have are a bit rough on hard pack, IMHO!

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
You will want to stay with something light weight...I run terra's and buddy runs BH 2.0's..both great trail tires, they are NOT mud tires though. They do way better than stock, but they dont clean out like a mud tire. Both ours have about 1100 miles on them and expect another 1100 miles easily..likely more. No flats on either (with almost all miles coming in the rocks in west va). Terras slide better and turn in better on high speed corners...the horns push a bit more...the horns are balanced better..they ride smooth as glass on hardpack at any speed...the terras like to wander a bit at speed and they are not as smooth on hardpack as the horns. neither like the sand too much.

·
Super Moderator
7,005 Posts
Stick with 25" tires if you want no power loss, and get yourself a set of Bighorns. Great all around radial tire. Not a mud tire, but it will get you through all but the worst mud. You will also get over 4,000 miles out of a set easily. No other tires out there that can match all that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts