Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 2020 XP 1000 HE. What a nice machine!! But I can't stand the stock tires. I am trying to decided between 28" and 30" Maxxis Carnivores on STI HD9 wheels. Which size should I go with? Is 30" pushing it to much? I figure 30s would require a High Lifter 2" lift. I ride steep slick rocky mountain trails. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,017 Posts
28" is the max imho for steep terrain!!! don't want to lose to much of that low center of gravity. for the rocky part, invest in some good skids!!!!!

·
Registered
259 Posts
28" unless you go with a 2" lift and heavy duty axles IMHO. As for the tires themselves, I really have had good luck with Kenda Bearclaw HTR. Great grip in about any type of terrain, good wearing tires, 8 ply casings and stiff sidewalls really keep things stable.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I put 29" Maxxis VIPRS on my 18 1000 xp. No lift needed. With these tires. Vipers run small so they are about like 28" tires. A full 29" tire would be really close to the front of the rear fender. It may even rub.

D

·
9,802 Posts
I just picked up a 2020 XP 1000 HE. What a nice machine!! But I can't stand the stock tires. I am trying to decided between 28" and 30" Maxxis Carnivores on STI HD9 wheels. Which size should I go with? Is 30" pushing it to much? I figure 30s would require a High Lifter 2" lift. I ride steep slick rocky mountain trails. Thanks.
I've got a 2018 1k HE running 27.5 Pitbull Growlers on OEM wheels. They actually measure 28 or better mounted on the factory rims and stick like glue in the mountains... East or West. They are expensive and heavy but well worth it IMO. They're tough as nails, smooth as silk without any balancing and wear extremely well. I weigh around 195 and often carry gear and had to crank the springs up a couple notches to keep from rubbing the fenders much under compression. You'll also need Direction2 fender flares unless you enjoy being covered with mud all the time.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I second the Maxxis Vipr's it's a great all around tire. I've been up steep hills, never broken traction in 4wd. I've been in mud knee deep, mud waist deep, and never had a single problem. They are 6 ply, so they are heavier than stock but my 850 slings them very well. I could only imagine what a 1000 would do.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I run Maxxis Zilla's 27 inch on my 2018 1000 xp sportsman , they have done everything I have asked of them. , and they are very light.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are most of yall sticking to the skinny/wide tire combo or moving to the same size on all four corners? Whats the pros and cons?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Are most of yall sticking to the skinny/wide tire combo or moving to the same size on all four corners? Whats the pros and cons?
I am because the rear wide tire gives better traction/contact patch, while the more slender front still provides a lot of traction, but with side-to-side turning clearance and more accurate steering it seems.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You guys have me seriously looking at the 29" Maxxis Viprs now. If I stick with the skinny/wide stance would it be better to just use the stock wheels since they are different width wheels front to back to match the skinny/wide tires instead of aftermarket 14x7s all the way around? Not sure a 29x9 and a 29x11 all on 14x7 wheels with be the same hight. Is my thinking all wrong on this? Also the skinny fronts might look weird pushed out further due to the backspacing of the aftermarket wheels. I appreciate everyones input.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I used the stock wheels. 29 x 9 on front 29 x 11 rear. This is my second set of VPRS. They are a great tire. Strong sidewalls. Ride smooth. Clear mud out good. Works good in snow. Wear like IRON. My next set of tires will VIPRS.

D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Deucer. Would love to see a few pics of your ride.

·
Registered
264 Posts
  • The Maxxis VIPR Radial Tire is an absolute beast on multiple terrains and it’s easy to see why. The directional tread of the VIPR works along with a radial construction to give you a very plush feeling ride. However, at the same time the VIPR gives you a huge contact patch. And with deep lugs, that means you get traction from the VIPR that excels in loose and intermediate terrain. Add the 6-ply rating and rim guard to the Maxxis VIPR Tire, and you have the complete package that’s a superior choice when you need a hard working tire for your UTV or ATV.

Specs:
  • Constructed specifically for side x sides and UTVs
  • Directional tread pattern excels in loose to intermediate terrain
  • Deep lugs shed mud but also roll smoothly on hard pack
  • Radial construction provides a plush feel and large contact patch
  • Durable 6-ply rating
  • Deep rim guard protects wheel
This is the sales pitch from Rocky Mountain ATV. I don't have pictures. Sorry, I am kind of old school and don't carry or have a cell phone. I have never tried to post pictures on line. I got the Copper Colored xp 1000 with all the stuff. Love it.

My wife has an I-Pad and takes pictures. Maybe I can get her to post a picture here. I still use a Cannon 35mm camera with film.

D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for everyones input. This morning I ordered 29" Maxxis Vipr tires and a RVS Performance clutch kit.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I didn't bother with the clutch kit. It worked great stock. I do have a RVS kit in my 15 850. It worked fine but not enough gain for the $$$ in my opinion. Your gonna love the looks of that bike with the vipers on it. I really like the way mine works with them.

D

·
Registered
124 Posts
@Deucer you are gonna be happy with the tire choice. Everyone else can keep the over sized tires, they do absolutely nothing for you, but rob you of torque and hp when you need it most. Everyone I ride with is jealous, because my 27" Vipr out perform their over sized tires.

·
9,802 Posts
Uhh… The Op said he just ordered 29" Viprs! I think that would qualify a "over sized"?
It ain't ALL about performance. Tire choice has as much to do with WHERE and HOW you ride as anything. Taller tires not only roll over obstacles easier, they also give you a much softer ride in the rough stuff. With a taller sidewall you can also air down for some conditions without worrying about bumping the rims on sharp rock or ledges.
Sure, bigger heavier tires rob a little power, but unless you've got a race to win that's not all that important to a lot of folks. Even less so when you're already running 90 hp stock!
A little clutch tuning will make it so you hardly even notice the extra unslung weight.
Its all according to what you are trying to achieve with your tuning and mods based on YOUR particular needs/wants... Same with suspension, lighting, storage, gear, etc., etc.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I run Maxxis Zilla's 27 inch on my 2018 1000 xp sportsman , they have done everything I have asked of them. , and they are very light.
thats what i want to try next, have only heard good things about the Zillas, Maxxis don't wear fast too, its one of the only tires that has almost 1 1/4 inch thread, i'm surprised more people don't run them,
How are they on hard packed ?
don't shake too much, ?
i always get my rims balanced anyway .

1 - 20 of 33 Posts