Votes: 5 83.3%

• Total voters
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I have been somewhat looking for a while for a Diesel ATV. The Arctic Cat would be my first choice because it has a bigger engine and is newer, but is out of my price range.
My family has always ridden polaris and in fact I still have my dad's old 250 4x4 from 93, the reason I am looking is the seat flew off going down the expressway and a new one costs $350 from the dealer, and I refuse to pay that when for all I know the thing will blow up tomorrow. The only thing I do with it anymore is Plow snow and go ice fishing. I would love to get a new quad but my wife and I are expecting a baby come July so finances aren't the greatest right now. I plan on buying a new Sportsman 400 in the fall if I don't find something beforehand.
This leads me to my question. I happened to stumble upon this:
Polaris sportsman
I know the mileage is a little high and the price is high but would it be worth it at any price? I am aware of the slowness of it, I don't really have room to open up the throttle anyways. My question is cold starting, for now 95% of the use will be in the winter, I have found conflicting stories about whether it has glow plugs or not and whether it has a block heater or not. Could someone clarify that?
If all else fails, does anyone happen to have a seat laying around to my current quad??? I am sick of sitting on towels here!

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Do a search on EBAY for your seat. Should find something for cheap.

As for the older diesel sportsmans well, I have heard more negative than positive about them from guys who I KNOW that have had them, which is only 3. All farmers. Take what you read on the internet with a grain of salt but the particular gentlemen I knew who had them didn't have them long. Maybe a couple years. They were cold blooded when it was 40 degrees out. From my personal experience there are MUCH better machines out there for that price he is asking.

EDIT but if you want a diesel as long as it seems to start/run good and everything checks out ok you should get what YOU like. I think you would be happier with the new sportsman 400 (actually a 455 and fewer than 5hp less than the now discontinued 500)

·
Premium Member
9,942 Posts
First and foremost congrats on the soon to be new addition to the family. Honestly dude I have mixed feelings about diesel ATVs. Don't get me wrong diesels rule the world but the technology and basic physics limit its potential in the ohv world. This is what I think u should do: use this site along with eBay n craigslist to find a used or less expensive seat for pops quad. When the finances chk out go and pick up a sportsman 400. They are great work machines and extremely capable trail bikes. Best of luck with everything.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First and foremost congrats on the soon to be new addition to the family. Honestly dude I have mixed feelings about diesel ATVs. Don't get me wrong diesels rule the world but the technology and basic physics limit its potential in the ohv world. This is what I think u should do: use this site along with eBay n craigslist to find a used or less expensive seat for pops quad. When the finances chk out go and pick up a sportsman 400. They are great work machines and extremely capable trail bikes. Best of luck with everything.
Thanks! To both, I would love to find one on ebay, but I looked, the only ones I find are for newer ones or older ones. I found one I think will fit it but that still was $175. It seems like no one has one!

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I would shy away from a diesel ATV unless your fuel availabity is only diesel. Basically, a diesel only gives you more torque and the torque of the engine (gas or diesel) is going to overtake the traction everytime of an ATV tire. Also, a diesel is a more sensitiive engine to work on and unless you or you dealer have those specialized skills your gonna be flailing to repair it. Dealers work on gas engines 99% of the time as do most mechanics so that skill set is not readily available. My friend is the only diesel mechanic at the local Ford dealership and he said they are a PITA and expensive to work on and he wouldn't have one. When you need torque to pull that heavy load or to overcome traction then a diesel has its place but can't imagine it would be valuable in the ORV world. Longevity of a diesel engine can also be a positive on larger vehicle but not so sure about an ATV?

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
what exactly is your dads old machine? i will check CL around here see if there is any seats cheap.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First off, Congrats on the New addition!

I know its still $218 but its cheaper than a new machine. maybe hold you over till after the baby is born and you know what you have to spend.

https://www.partzilla.com/index.php?pcsid=v9a5j8kkmnonv8kr446ont2b65&p=cart

maybe you can find something else you "need" and you can get it over $250 for the free shipping
Thanks! I plan on not doing anything until this coming fall. If I go that route though i wouldn't be buying a seat in the meantime, I'm not going to use it this summer anyways. I'm just hoping it is done snowing, but I doubt it is...

·
Registered
123 Posts
Most diesel engines will need plugged in (block heater) when the temps drop and keep the fuel filters changed....not been around any diesel ATV's but plenty of big diesel truck engines. Some are hard to start....others are not.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Most diesel engines will need plugged in (block heater) when the temps drop and keep the fuel filters changed....not been around any diesel ATV's but plenty of big diesel truck engines. Some are hard to start....others are not.
That is what I was afraid of... That is why I was hoping it did have a glow plug or a grid heater or something.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
^ did you add it to your cart? the price is usually cheaper in the cart, than on the page.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
The miles and price look reasonable in the ad link you posted, but $2800-3000 would be better. My only thoughts / concerns are wanting a diesel for winter activities (snow plowing & ice fishing)..... sounds like hassles to me. Low range on a gasser will get you the exact same thing a diesel will..... unless you have diesel running in your blood viens!! In my opinion....Hold out for the 400.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The miles and price look reasonable in the ad link you posted, but $2800-3000 would be better. My only thoughts / concerns are wanting a diesel for winter activities (snow plowing & ice fishing)..... sounds like hassles to me. Low range on a gasser will get you the exact same thing a diesel will..... unless you have diesel running in your blood viens!! In my opinion....Hold out for the 400.
Nada says average value is $1700 so there is no way I was giving him $3200 for it. For all I know it is worth it but not to me for that price.
That was my main concern as well, most of the use is in the winter time when the diesel prefers the warm weather.
I think I am going to pass on it. Between the price he wants for it, the repair costs, and cold weather I don't think it would be the greatest idea. Diesels are very reliable but im sure I would get the one exception to that rule anyways.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts