1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey all,
been lurking around here for a few weeks,
I have a 91 hoda fourtrax 300, it probably has a million miles on it,
I use it at least 3 times a week around the yard hauling firewood, dragging trees out of the woods, dragging the log splitter around etc.
do some occasional riding , hard packed rock trails, this machine just runs and runs, just not enough power/speed to be a load of fun .Before I got this machine it was used on a large apartment complex daly pulling a trailer around with tools and supplies and was used to plow miles of sidewalks. Other then oilchanges , batteries and several starter rebuilds its been great the only thing it ever needed was a coil

I realy would like to have a capable atv that can work, and be able to take out of state to dome some hard core riding

a few weeks ago I had a offer to trade a car for a 2013 ho 500 with 20 miles on it, just not sure if I want to let the car go yet,

So this has got me thinking of upgrading to a new atv, I know it will be a Polaris but theres to much to choose from, my initial thought was the 850 xp but just not sure if I want to spend that kind of money.
so that brings me to the 500,550, 570
ive read that the 500 is tried and true
570 has new engine design
550 newer frame and suspension

will the 550 give me better handling and sportier ride?
is the 500/570 a better workhorse
thanks

·
Registered
173 Posts
For the money you can't beat the 500.

The XP is really improved in ergos over the sportsman and if you are stepping into an XP I personally would go to the 850 over the 550 for the difference in price. You can great deals on big bore bikes on year end clearance or non-current stock.

I personally would like to see the 570 prove itself for awhile before I jump in. Might be some early issues that get updated in next years model.

My 800 was an awesome workhorse but so far the 850 hasn't disappointed me in the work department.

Before I bought the 850 I was wondering if I 'needed' it. I was looking hard at the 550 but I can say now I have no idea why I was even debating it...I love the 850.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
If you're going to be plowing get a 550/850. The value lines have non adjustable struts up front that will sag bad with a plow.

From the sounds of it a 550 would be a good choice.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Double post

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'm new to owning my own quad but I have to admit. After shopping around for quite some time I can't wait to try out my new 550 with powersteering for plowing.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
550 vs 570 power wise is VERY close 2hp difference. the 500 is the undisputed king of ATV's as it's the #1 sold bike of all time. should be able to find a deal on one right now because of the 570. 570 ergos are better than the 500 putting that side on par with the 550. but the 570 keeps the built in storage that you're having to pay extra for on the 550. HD springs are available for Value line so I would assume that they'll have them for the 570 as well. cost wise the 570 with EPS is on par with the 550 XP without it. I prefer the VL frame over the XP frame because the VL doesn't have removable sections in the frame. which has been know to cause cracks if ridden hard. the 500/570/550's will be less likely to break axles than the 800/850 are (a known issue with the big bore bikes). for my money, I'd go 570 with EPS over the 550 XP without it. but that's me. but if I had the deal you were offered I'd look at the value of the car and strongly consider swapping for the 500. you wont be disappointed with what ever you get.

·
Premium Member
10,580 Posts
if its in the budget an 850xp would be the way to go the best of everything. second would be a toss up between the 570eps or an 800efi. question is do u want power steering or more power or do u want it all. and if u do go with the 500h.o. which is a value line with struts, polaris makes adjusters and hd springs for plowing set ups.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I think if you are planning on leaving the machine stock, a 550 would be your best bet:

Efi, no need for he springs, more than enough power for plowing.

Altho i agree that depending on the car you want to trade, the 500 might be the way to go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts