Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's what I got going on. I acquired a 93 350L, not running so first step clean carb fresh gas. Took care of that, rebuilt the carb, machine fires right up idles nice but there is a tick coming from somewhere. So first assumption is that it's not getting oil, the oil line is a mess, could be clogged filter, collapsed line whatever. So I have a new filter and new line, but how can I determine if my oil pump is actually working??? Or am I better off just blocking the pump off and premix? What all needs to be done to convert to a premix machine

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
If you don't mind mixing then that is always the best option as you guarantee oil usage. I like to keep the oil injection because we fill up a lot at the pump. I also carry gas as we aren't always able to get to a pump on a tank. I've never had a problem with an injection pump so I'm not really sure how to test one. Try Gen3usa.com website as that's where the two stroke models are really talked about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
You can check if the pump is working by taking the tube off at the carb with the engine running. Just for a few moments. if the pump is working, there will be a drop or two of oil out of the tub. It doesn't take much. Some folks like the pumps and some don't trust them. Problem with them is that if it does fail, you don't know it til the engine seizes up. They do fail, but not too often. Historically, they have shown to be dependable. Even with the pump, some add oil to the fuel as insurance.

If you suspect the pump, disconnect it and pre-mix, or replace it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
If you replace the oil line be sure to bleed it at the end of the line where it attaches to the pump.

If you're going to test the pump I would add some pre-mix to be on the safe side. You will find a lever on the pump that is controlled by the throttle cable. Lift this lever all the way (simulating WOT) and you should see a slight dribble of oil come out the line that attaches to the carb when the engine is at an idle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts