Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After sinking my ATV and having it repaired, I'm entertaining the idea of snorkeling my ATV.

What are the drawbacks if any to doing this mod? I've looked at the Snorkel your ATV site and saw they make a kit for my 850 but wasn't sure exactly what was involved in doing this. I can imagine the CVT housing has to be sealed as well as the air box.

I don't PLAN on going into deep water just thinking about it as a precautionary measure. After all a $250 snorkel kit could've easily saved $2500 in damages. They make some pretty low profile snorkels and they're easily adjustable if I want to go deeper.

We do a lot of riding on the river and sand bars around here. So even though I don't plan on going into deep water the possibility always exist that it may find me...

What's your thoughts... To Snorkel or Not to Snorkel that is the question.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Sometimes a snorkel can effect the output of your engine.. if you decide to make one, try not to make many sharp or angular turns. this can effect the airflow going though the tubes and eventually into the engine.. most sportsman's already have a sort of snorkel attached to the air box. My friend removed his and welded up a fitting that would go in the place of that snorkel, and allowed him to attack 2" PVC pipe. All in all if you really feel the need to snorkel your tav then by all means DO IT! I mean it just looks cool. Also make sure not to just put a snorkel on your air box, there are other vents on the clutch housing, and the crankcase. Do all these things and you'll be golden
Good Luck!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info! If I do get a snorkel kit for it I'm looking at going with a manufactured design like the Snorkel Your ATV kit.

I like the Snorkel Your ATV kit because it comes with multiple length tubes to change out depending on the situation.

I think the only things that are snorkeled are the air box and drive housing.

Still thinking about it. I'm not really worried about power loss because the 850 has more than enough power already and I'm not a top speed kind of guy. But like I said before we do a lot of riding on the river and this would be a lot of extra insurance that might just help me sleep better at night.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
One thing to consider is resale. If you think you will be selling in the near future, it might be harder to get a good price for it once snorkeled

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
That's if you can sell it at all with that mod. Me,myself would never even consider one that had this mod because that usually means it was used as a submarine. To many hidden problems.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Do it if you even think you'll hit deep water.

It's worth the insurance for the cost. BTW, they are not hard to do yourself and all parts can be purchased from home depot and in my opinion made better than some of the manufactured kits on the market.

Also, you won't have a tough time reselling it. Lots of folks out there get the snorks for piece of mind.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I know a lot of people do snorkel their Quad's but Me I prefer to be careful & I believe snorkeling hurts resale value Personaly I have passed on Used Quads that had been snorkeled it's just like a sign "This Machine Was Abused"

·
Registered
191 Posts
I am trying to design a snorkle for my 02 500. I dont want it to cost me another set of rings.....

Sent from my HTC Hero S using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
170 Posts
I am trying to design a snorkle for my 02 500. I dont want it to cost me another set of rings.....

Sent from my HTC Hero S using Tapatalk 2
Do you think it would work for a 2000 500... if so send me the details on what you used and how to use it
Thanks

·
Registered
66 Posts
Snorkel?

Sorry to Hyjak the post, I am also thinking of snorkeling mine aswell. I have looked at kits but seem expensive i would like to make my own. I own a 2010 sportman 800. Anyone ever made one for this quad or maybe know where a good link to one would be? My only issue with snorkeling mine is iam afraid my may lose my front storage box. Alll in all if i could make one or find one ata reasonacle price id probably go for it. I just ordered a signature sieres highlifter 2'' lift. And rinho axles so with these investmants i plan to hang on to mine for a few more years. I do not believe they lower the resale value almost every quad i see these day wheater polaris honda can am ect...has been snorkel. And no i am not saying jump on the band wagon but if its what you want or think you need id say go for it. Goodluck JimmyC post pics if you dcide to go ahead with it.

·
Registered
251 Posts
just look at it as cheap insurance..... how i see it is: I would rather have it and not need it than to need it and not have it!

Hope that helps your thinking :rotflmao:

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a 800 sportsman and was thinking about it too. But I would have to cut into my storage box or run stealths. I ride with some guys with snorkels and go thru 95% of the stuff they go thru. If I do get in too deep and it shuts off I do not try and start it and get pulled out. Then pull drain plug on airbox to make sure no water is in it. If no water in airbox start it up and good to go. Worst thing to do is try and start while in water. Even if just mufflers are under. I go rack deep all the time, just keep front up. If it gets too deep and is still running I will get off bike and float her out. Again its a 800, 850 might be a different monster. I personally would never buy a snorkeled bike, I always buy the grandpa ridden stock bikes with low hours and mod how I want. Then I know what I have.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I say do it. Cheap insurance in my opinion. Triangle atv makes some good kits, both through the storage box, and the stealth kit into the headlight pod. I have the stealth on mine and it works good and is a quality kit. It is just as important to snorkel and seal up the clutch housing because if you get your belt wet you will not go anywhere. Don't forget to di-electric grease all your electrical connections, including your spark plug boots. A little off topic, but someone mentined getting rhino axles with their lift in this thread, Don't do it. Rhino axles are garbage on a lifted atv. Get gorilla or turner. Beleive me, I have tried them all.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I snorkled my 03 600 and it runs horrible i ran inch and half pvc ....too much air?.....or not enough fuel to compensate for the air
1.5in should be enough. Look at your spark plug...

White = Lean
Oil = Rich

I would tend to lean on the rich side to keep things safe. Also if your are carb'd then you might need to rejet.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts