Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay fellas some folks really complain how fast there wheelers stop. While looking at mine from day one it didn't look right. So I cked toe. Its toed out over 1/2" so at dealer I explained this.so we went and cked over 20 new units. All were way toed out. Just something some may want to check.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Coming from a suspension back ground in road racing, 1/2" of toe out can't be right. It would make the tires wear strange and it would handle like crap. I own 2 850's and have checked toe on them both with setting up a square with string and both of them have never had a 1/2" of toe, I use 1/4" as max and try to bring them in a little under that. The more toe you add also the more drag on the front tire and the the machine, That's my 2 cents.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Coming from a suspension back ground in road racing, 1/2" of toe out can't be right. It would make the tires wear strange and it would handle like crap. I own 2 850's and have checked toe on them both with setting up a square with string and both of them have never had a 1/2" of toe, I use 1/4" as max and try to bring them in a little under that. The more toe you add also t:wow:he more drag on the front tire and the the machine, That's my 2 cents.
You are correct Max limit Is 1/4 between both tires. Max. So set to just a tad over 1/8th.
Now it handles like a dream.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I had my 500 sportsman overhauled at the dealer when I bought it ,, they toed it in 1/2 " on each side and it ploughed ground like a tractor,, I reset the toe in to about 1/8" ,, works the way it should,,,

·
Super Moderator
7,074 Posts
A little toe out is a good thing if it is within limits. Toe in will make the atv extremely twitchy at any kind of speed. Not good on these short wheel base machines.

·
11,576 Posts
I like mine toed out about 1/8" per side for a total of 1/4".
But, look at the specs for the newer Honda Foremans, the manual recommends 3/4" to 1 1/2" out!...too much in my opinion but those SRA's will tend to get a little squirrely in the corners if you get them too tight.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I had my 500 sportsman overhauled at the dealer when I bought it ,, they toed it in 1/2 " on each side and it ploughed ground like a tractor,, I reset the toe in to about 1/8" ,, works the way it should,,,
I will have to recheck mine ,,,maybe another1/4 to 1/2 " toe out will improve it's handling

·
Registered
11 Posts
When i picked mine up from the dealer this summer it was pulling to the right like crazy, so first thing i did was checking the alignment and it was way out of specs. I corrected it and it drives fine now. I suppose checking anything while doing the PDI is not an option. PDI only exists on the paper....:motz: I better check the coolant if it has enough antifreeze before it gets cold.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts