Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve replaced the rear brake caliper and a couple of the flexible lines in my 2004 Sportsman 500 HO (Early model) brake system. Replaced all brake pads also. I’ve bled all wheels until new fluid comes out with no bubbles, but it seems like there is too much travel in the brake handle. If I try hard enough, I can squeeze it to the handgrip. Brakes seem to work fine, but I’m afraid that when I really need them, it’s going to bottom out and not have enough brakes. There is no leaking, and the pull is consistent. On my other ATVs, I’m lucky if I can squeeze it halfway before it won’t go any further. Is there any adjustability in this brake handle/master cylinder, or should I just replace it. They seem very inexpensive on-line.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
There's still air trapped somewhere. I had a heckuva time getting moms' 2002 Polaris Professional 500 to bleed after I changed all three seized calipers.

I resorted to changing the Master Cylinder because I figured I borked it by pushing the cups past the ridges in the bore... that didn't fix it.

Not saying the MC was in great condition but it probably wasn't whipped either.

It turned out that there was an air pocket somewhere in the rear brake lines that I was able to eventually work out of the system with a pressure pot.

·
Premium Member
7,402 Posts
Ditto^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^!!!!!!!!!!!!! Air is still in there. Some guys have gravity bleed them or vac bleed them with success after not not being able to pressure bleed them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts