Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to ATVing and by the end of the summer I'll probably be heading out into some remote mountain regions for some back country trail riding, and I'm wondering just what kind of stuff/tools etc I should bring along in case of breakdowns/events etc. Short list so far includes a GPS (probably a Garmin Montana 650T), a tire repair kit, and courtesy of my Mom one of those satellite personal locator beacons, probably the ResQLink+ from ACR.

Any other suggestions for stuff that might come in handy?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
A hand gun of your liking.

·
Registered
316 Posts
where in the country r u. If i was riding the back country in the West I would take different things than back country in the East

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
A must have.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Don't ride with out this.

Attachments

·
Registered
165 Posts
Spare Belt
Silicone rubber tape
Air compressor
Flash light
small trouble light, hat lamp or head lamp
Utility knife, spare blades
Test light and volt meter..
Valve stem tool and spare caps
Socket set , 3/8 and 1/4 drive
Side cutters
Channel locks
Telescopic magnetic pickup tool
2 pairs vise grips
1 4in adjustable
1 12in adjustable
Flat screwdriver(s)
Philips screw driver long med and stubby
T25 , T15 drivers
Spark plug socket
Zip ties
Cotter pins
wrench to remove axle castle nut, In case you break a drive shaft,
Garbage bag's (2) and black electrical tape (C/V boot patch) or rain coat
Spare Fuse's,Relay's, head light bulb.
Hex key's .
10ft of 14ga wire
Pepper,just regular table pepper about 5oz , or more ..plugs radiator leaks,blown head gaskets.. get you home.
Tow rope.
Ammo boxes to keep it all dry.

compass ,Fire extinguisher .... tarp ..to fix in the rain
bug spray , to keep the bugs away, some of it has ether to use as quick start

Can opener
various cans or dried food...
Fixing makes a guy hungry
Bags, dry socks, Make sure the socks fit and the bags fit over you socks and feet, keep feet dry in wet boots
dry gloves
Hand cleaner
first aid kit

GPS , and cell phone aint worth a whole lot broke down in the dark , pouring rain and hungry.
You may have to look after yourself , until you get parts or help

If not ...a quart of rum and a 44 mag ....one shot only..

Have fun..

·
Registered
316 Posts
If your carrying a spare belt you had better have practiced changing it in a nice dry garage with plenty of light. I never carry one because I know Im not a good enough mech to change one in the field. Being able to bypass an electrical circuit is handy and the pepper trick is a good thing. I personally carry extra gas, dry clothes, fire starting material, extra batteries for phone and light, gps. minimum of tools. If I don't trust my machine to get me there and back I don't go. I don't ride hard enough to risk breaking things although accidents do happen. I rode my goldwing across country last year with the tool set it came with and tire plugs and compressor. Over 6000 miles. Didn't break down once. Why, because I knew my bike was in good shape before I left. In my experience flat tires are your biggest concern. Im not saying that tie rods, axles, belts don't break but unless your really mech inclined most of us aren't fixing them out on the trail. Just my opinion.

·
Super Moderator
6,957 Posts
Yami, you just described the tool box that I carry around in the back of my 3/4 ton pickup truck. Ain't no way all that is going on an atv.

A couple of basic tools so you can change a belt or a tire and a spark plug. A tire plug kit and compressor. Extra gas and fire starting kit. Folding shovel and a hatchet. Rain gear and light jacket.

You can't carry everything for every possible scenario, so assume and prepare for the most likely. There is only so much most folks can do out on the trail.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Don't ride with out this.
All joking aside..... this is a good item to have for more than just the obvious reason!! But when "nature calls" it sure is handier then loosing a sock, two socks or a stocking cap!! :D :fing02:

I usually carry.....

- Polaris factory tool kit
- Slime tire plug kit
- small 12v air compressor
- channel lock pliers
- tow straps (2) & carabineers (2)
- hooded sweatshirt
- drink & snack
- fuel pack
- fire starter
- Wet wipes & TP
- cell phone

I usually ride with others and on marked trail systems, so I don't bring all the tools needed.... only the essentials to fix a flat and pull me back to camp/trail head.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Spare Belt
Silicone rubber tape
Air compressor
Flash light
small trouble light, hat lamp or head lamp
Utility knife, spare blades
Test light and volt meter..
Valve stem tool and spare caps
Socket set , 3/8 and 1/4 drive
Side cutters
Channel locks
Telescopic magnetic pickup tool
2 pairs vise grips
1 4in adjustable
1 12in adjustable
Flat screwdriver(s)
Philips screw driver long med and stubby
T25 , T15 drivers
Spark plug socket
Zip ties
Cotter pins
wrench to remove axle castle nut, In case you break a drive shaft,
Garbage bag's (2) and black electrical tape (C/V boot patch) or rain coat
Spare Fuse's,Relay's, head light bulb.
Hex key's .
10ft of 14ga wire
Pepper,just regular table pepper about 5oz , or more ..plugs radiator leaks,blown head gaskets.. get you home.
Tow rope.
Ammo boxes to keep it all dry.

compass ,Fire extinguisher .... tarp ..to fix in the rain
bug spray , to keep the bugs away, some of it has ether to use as quick start

Can opener
various cans or dried food...
Fixing makes a guy hungry
Bags, dry socks, Make sure the socks fit and the bags fit over you socks and feet, keep feet dry in wet boots
dry gloves
Hand cleaner
first aid kit

GPS , and cell phone aint worth a whole lot broke down in the dark , pouring rain and hungry.
You may have to look after yourself , until you get parts or help

If not ...a quart of rum and a 44 mag ....one shot only..

Have fun..

:werd:how big is your trailer?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Yami, you just described the tool box that I carry around in the back of my 3/4 ton pickup truck. Ain't no way all that is going on an atv.

A couple of basic tools so you can change a belt or a tire and a spark plug. A tire plug kit and compressor. Extra gas and fire starting kit. Folding shovel and a hatchet. Rain gear and light jacket.

You can't carry everything for every possible scenario, so assume and prepare for the most likely. There is only so much most folks can do out on the trail.
I have that on my bike. And it all fits in the front compartment,one ammo box.

Looks like a lot when its all spelled out. but it dosent take that much space

The socket set is just a small 3/8 drive set with a 1/4 adapter. Almost fits in your back pocket. largest socket is 3/4

I take a page from a Jeep club..

We're here to have fun...not baby sit you.

·
Premium Member
7,473 Posts
To piggy back on what bobx2 said i also would try nride with a buddy too. Having another machine with u out there is invaluable. To that point all u need then is a toe strap. But I do carry a small bag of tools: adjustable wrench, channel locks, 10in1 screw driver, assorted sockets and extensions, assorted wrenches, straps, ty-wraps, tire compressor n plug kit, first aid kit, jumper cables, rain gear, spare towels, a snack n water, extra fuel, and other incidentals dependent on the trip location and duration.

·
Registered
55 Posts
A lot of good ideas so far. I know you are asking about tools but, I wasn't sure if you have one already, but a winch on your machine is certainly very important. And also carry a lot of extra rope or tow straps. I have about 50' of line on my winch, but I always have another 50' of straps with me. Nothing worse than being stuck somewhere and your winch line won't reach!! Maybe even invest in a pulley block and some D-rings.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Not something I carry as of yet but I will soon be adding a hammock with mosquito netting for the chance that we decide hey this looks like a good place to camp, or if I may end up having to spend the night in the woods if I did end up with a major breakdown or something that would I wouldn't want to attempt to travel by foot back to camp during dark. Even if you know the trail system well, most lost persons get themselves lost even further when they attempt to travel at night, its hard to visualize landmarks and distances at night and you get yourself turned around very easily.

OK, back on topic, the hammock packs to the size of a softball so storage of it is not much of an issue.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Ok, so OP seems to have "left the house".
My question is, where would an avid ATV enthusiast find this kind of public trail riding?
This is something I am very interested in!!
Thanks,

Jim

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I cannot believe you guys didn't say one of the most important. When that GPS craps out and the cell phone cannot get a signal what does he need as a backup to figure out where he is. He also needs to learn how to read one of these so he can figure out where to go. Do I know where true north is and can I orient it to the compass I have with me since this trail does not have a number on it.

Ronnie

·
Registered
165 Posts
The sun rise's in the east ,sets in the west..

But yes a compass..

Actually ..theres a fine for being out on an excursion without one here.

·
Registered
316 Posts
problem is most people wouldn't have a clue how to use one little lone find their way out of the woods with one. Hell I had basic orienteering in the Scouts and then in the military as well. GPS is find for telling you where you are or to tell someone else where you are, but if you rely on them to get you out you might find the new tech lacking.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
problem is most people wouldn't have a clue how to use one little lone find their way out of the woods with one. Hell I had basic orienteering in the Scouts and then in the military as well. GPS is find for telling you where you are or to tell someone else where you are, but if you rely on them to get you out you might find the new tech lacking.
I agree and a lot of people lost are going to panic and never think of the sun rises in the east and sets in the west. Not a guarantee to get you out but it helps to know. Nothing like a good topo map or forest service map as a back up with a compass. I also know people who buy a GPS and all they know is where the pointer is pointing. Why buy it if you do not know how to use it.

Ronnie

1 - 20 of 57 Posts