Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning everybody. I am the proud new owner of a 2000 Polaris Xplorer 400 4x4. This is my first ATV and I bought it cheap from a friend since it wasn't running. I drained the gas tank, changed all the fluids, cleaned the carb, put in a new battery and starter relay. She fires right up and runs great!!

There is a loud noise that I couldn't quite place. After searching this wonderful site I have determined it is "piston slap". Now, the noise is not "horrible" (all relative, I know) and it's only at idle. After searching through ebay I found that I can get a whole new cylinder, piston, gaskets, wrist pin ect. (everything I need for a top end rebuild) for only $300.

So here are my questions:

1) How much piston slap noise is tolerable? (I would guess none)

2) Can I switch out the top end without removing the engine?

I'm trying to eliminate downtime since this is a brand new toy and my kids would hate to see her sitting for a couple days while I work on getting the old parts up and going. Remember "It's for the kids" : )

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Dont have to remove engine to do a top end, just the plastic, might want a service manual, I would do a compression check on it that will tell you what kinda shape its in

·
Registered
526 Posts
Looking at that down the road and from what I have found on line is supported by Russ C post.

If you are going to replace even the cylinder vs reboring it there is no rush as long as the sound source is the top end and not bottom end. You may find other issues as you get more hours on it.

I did not realize you could get a new cylinder, rings and piston for $300 in parts. Locally to bore to oversize is $75 and that will include the fitting of the rings/piston to the new cylinder size.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys I really appreciate the response. I found a place in Missouri that has the complete kit, everything you need for a top end rebuild. Or, you can send him your cylinder and he will bore and fit a new piston for $125. I think I may have to remove the engine anyways. The engine seems to have quite a bit of movement. I think the engine mounts may need to be replaced. Does anyone know if some engine movement is normal?

Thank you everyone.

A big thanks goes out to Polaristech1 (Darren) whom sent me over the service manual for only $8! He was quick and very great to deal with. You can email him at [email protected] and he will send over the PDF of the manual. I found him n a sticky thread here in the forum.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts