Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm going to be installing a QSC clutch kit tomorrow morning and have searched for all the proper torque specs for my primary/secondary bolts, but I've gotten a few different numbers... I've watched videos on YouTube where guys have said a number range and I've read about other numbers all together, but I would really like some assurance from you others that have done such an upgrade. Unfortunately I don't have owners/repair/maintenance manual, and that is why I'm asking for your assistance!

Please and thank-you to all!

Bike is listed in my signature...

Countdown is at 15hrs and 12mins.... Working nights tonight and getting right at it tomorrow morning!!!!

Tick... tick... tick... And I can't wait!!!:)

·
Registered
36 Posts
I don't know the secondary specs but the primary torque specs are 45 to 48 foot pounds of torque. When I put my secondary back on just use some blue lock tight and some elbow grease hope it will be ok, I just installed a QSC kit on my 850 and its F n sweet :veryhappy:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Almost forgot when you take apart the secondary make sure to use blue lock tight on the 4 screws I've heard of those coming loose

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome! How much stall/shims did you do? Yeah I can't wait!!!

Is the locktite a must? Some say yeah... some say neah...

13hrs... 48mins.... tick.... tick.... tick!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright! Got me some emery cloth (check)... brake cleaner (check)... locktite (check)...

Thanks for all the advice/insight...

Will let you know how it goes...

Countdown at 4:43:09

·
Registered
158 Posts
You are killing me because my QSC kit has not arrived yet. Thinking the QSC clutch kit + my GR ought to make my 850 a beast.

harleystyles,
I was planning to start with the thin shim on mine and going up if I needed it. Did you try different setups or just start with the thick one and like it? What tires are you running? How easy does it wheelie in low &/or high? How easy does it engage if you are trying to start easy?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well the wait is over and I'm not gonna lie... very easy install!

Night and day difference! Turns my 30"s like they're stockers forsure! If it hooks up.... she's comin over! Hi/lo.. it don't matter.

I followed the EPI clutch kit install video on YouTube to a tee... first time ever doin this and by myself to boot...

Thanks to JP @ MADDMACKMOTORSPORTS for getting it in asap and thanks to Adam at QSC for answering my questions before my install. .. great customer service by both! Also, a big thanks to those that replied/pm'd me with your advice. I really appreciated it!

I would def recommend! A++

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I used all of it... 3/16"... and it gave me 2200-2400 engagement!

WICKED

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Doc,

Tick... tick... tick... lol

Yours will be! No doubt! OutKasted... QSC'd... gear'd...

Like I said... highly recommended!

Don't forget... if and when you goto BC... nothing done yet. I think that's next...

:)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Clutch arrived today. Installing it tomorrow. What did you use to compress the springs? I was thinking a piece of all-thread would work for the primary. Did you just compress the secondary by hand?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cool.

For the secondary, I put a 10"L - 3/4" bolt in a vice and used the nut/washers to keep the helix compressed while I took out the torque screws... careful not to strip. Blue locktite when reinstalling.

For the primary, I used a hydraulic press... just snugged up while I unscrewed the bolts... hardly any load there. I actually pressed down on it to reinstall the bolts w/o any device. I just didn't know how much load was on the orig spring.

I know this prob isn't the most clear description, but if not I will pm you... just off to work.... sorry.

·
Registered
158 Posts
NP, after watching the video it looks easy enough to fab up something to do the job. Just like to be extra carefull when releasing springs under tension.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I was going to take a before & after launch video but with 3-6" of snow in the forcast for tonight probably not going to be enough traction for an effective video tomorrow morning. :(

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Right on. Lmk how it goes. I put it at a 2200 stall. When are you doing your gr?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Already did the GR. My bike is really close to being done and ready to just ride. Only other mod I have planned is an aftermarket exhaust and not really sure if I'm going to do that or not. Plan to put on some miles starting in late June and see how it does. Should have a lot more time to ride in 2014.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts